Bookworm is a simple ebook reader with a very sleek and modern user interface. It supports all sorts of modern file formats like pdf, epub, mobi, etc. However, it’s initially developed for Elementary OS and available for Ubuntu and other derivatives via PPA.
- Easily manages the books through Library management.
- Readers can either grid view or list view from the ebook Library.
- Book metadata editing is also possible.
- The search bar offers filtering options.
- Supports major ebook format like epub, pdf, cbr, mobi, etc.
- Text zoom in/out, margin increase/decrease is possible through “A” preference menu.
- Comes with three versatile reading profile like light, sepia, and dark.
- Offers bookmarking facility.
- It provides no shortcuts, which help to manage the books and comfortable reading experience.
How to Install Bookworm
This ebook reader has an official PPA repository for Ubuntu and derivatives.
- Open the Terminal and run the following command to add the PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bookworm-team/bookworm
- You have to run the following command if your system is Ubuntu 16.04 to add the PPA to install the additional library
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/stable
- Finally, install this ebook reader by running the below command.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install bookworm
- Now Remove the dependency PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:elementary-os/stable
You can install it through system AppCenter
If you want to revert or uninstall the software, run the following command.
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove bookworm
Build it from the source
You can build this software from source with the required dependent packages; open the Terminal via
Ctrl+Alt+T and run the following command into it.
sudo apt build-dep granite-demo sudo apt install libgranite-dev valac libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev libsqlite3-dev poppler-utils libpoppler-glib-dev git git clone https://github.com/babluboy/bookworm.git cd bookworm mkdir build && cd build cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../ make sudo make install
You can find the Best ebook reader “Bookworm” on Github
All the information and images are collected from the official site.