Most modern-day computer users frequently deal with a wide range of files, which may include audio, video, images, and other executable software, to name a few. Sometimes, these files may become corrupt, get reformatted or go missing due to changes and transfers that we perform on our computers. Additionally, there is the problem of multiple disks drive locations, which can complicate the process of locating specific files when you require them.
Therefore, it might be important to seek out a dependable file recovery software, which enables users to retrieve files that would have been lost forever. I have recently tested a data recovery software named Recoverit. We take a look at this product and see how it fares in the recovery process.
Recoverit Data Recovery: Features
- The recovery application is characterized by a powerful built-in data analytic machine that facilitates speedy scanning during data retrieval.
- Provides support for data loss scenarios such as deleted files recovery, recycle bin recovery, lost partition recovery, external device recovery, system crash recovery and more
- Effective drive filtering interface that reduces the time required in locating a specific file
- It facilitates having a detailed preview before retrieving the deleted data.
- This application expedites restoring deleted data from formatted raw hard drives, hard drives, lost or resized partitions
- This application is greatly compatible with Mac and Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 9, and 10 operating system and more.
- Even after a long period since any specific data was lost, can be recovered by choosing month and year and files types as well.
- It is featured with a search option that smooth the way to scan extensively so as to find the expected lost file so that it can be restored with its name or extension.
Files You Can Recover
- Photo: This application is compatible with a range of photo formats for instance; DNG, ERF, RAW, ORF, RAF, SR2, JPG, TIFF/TIF, CRW, CR2, NEF, PNG, BMP, GIF and PSD and all those can be salvaged.
- Video: In different scenarios such as computer got crashed or accidentally deleted files, in this case, various video formats file namely; MPG, RM/RMVB, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, MP4, M4V, ASF, FLV, SWF, AVI and MOV can be recovered with it.
- Documents: If documents are damaged, corrupted or get lost this application is incredibly efficient to retrieve those back additionally; a large number of document formats are supported i.e., PPT/PPTX, PDF, CWK, HTML/HTM, INDD, EPS, DOC/DOCX, and XLS/XLSX, etc.
- Audio: By the same manner, it can recover various audio formats e.g., MID/MIDI, OGG, AAC, WAV, WMA, AIF/AIFF, M4A, and MP3.
- Archive, Message & Emails: What is else, it also capable of restoring different formats of the archive, message, and emails files.
Is it Effective in Recovering Data?
The D drive in my office computer once contained the most important documents for audit purposes and I proceeded to test if I was able to retrieve all the old files that have long been transferred or deleted. Recoverit had successfully restored several documents but not all files were accounted for – which meant that the software did not have a 100% success rate in file recovery- especially for obscure file types.
On the plus side, as an IT professional, I deal with a large number of disk drives daily. There are about 12 drives (C Drive – N Drive) stored within my workstation at the office.
Many of the file recovery software that I have used in the past have failed to identify every drive, which can be a tad frustrating. However, with Recoverit, I was able to scan all drives without any oversight, which made the file recovery process available on all fronts.
Additionally, I wanted to test the speed and effectiveness of the software, so I performed a scan on a drive with over 125G worth of data. I was surprised that the entire scan took a shorter duration than I had expected, while successfully identifying the file I was looking for.
Recoverit is a recovery software perfect for computer users who are unfamiliar with the file recovery process. The software has an interface that’s easy to understand along with clear categorization of disks for file searches. I narrowed down the categories for my file retrieval with great ease by selecting the exact directory (C:/ pantryparty/images) rather than scanning the entire drive, thereby reducing the time taken to detect the missing file I was looking for. It is also a plus that I can choose to pause the scanning process once the missing shows up under the results – systemized and easy.
However, there are some complaints about the software.
I performed a scan for a JPEG file, which turned up in the lost location folder rather than its original directory. This can potentially make it much harder to sort out and locate certain files due to their displacement. Secondly, I attempted to recover the files from an SD card in my old Android phone and although most of the files were located, some remained undetectable. This indicates that Recoverit is not compatible with all file types.
Recoverit is user-friendly, and simple to run. There is a step-by-step process that guides users through the data recovery process. Having flexible options, such as search, preview before recovery, read-only recovery and save and resume, it makes me much more confident in choosing the necessary options in recovering the data.
Recoverit has a free trial version, which allows users to restore up to 100MB of data but as an IT professional, I considered the limit too low to form an accurate assessment of the software before purchasing it, this is while bearing in mind that there are entirely free-of-charge alternatives out there such as Recuva that can get the same job done without file size restrictions.
But of course, there are other problems with freeware such as Recuva, which is substantially slower in the recovery process while lacking software updates to their program for years.
The final decision in picking a recovery software truly depends on the tech knowledge of the user and the level of thoroughness required in retrieving the missing files.
Download Recoverit Data Recovery for Free here