digiKam is yet another best photo management software for Linux community. It’s fully free, open source and comes with easy to use GUI. Besides photo management and metadata editing, it has the capability to do some basic image editing like Photoshop. So you can use it as Linux Photoshop Alternative software. digiKam is best for editing photo, bulk organizing images, processing RAW image files etc. The interface also looks like Adobe Photoshop. Here I will show you how to install digiKam on Ubuntu Linux.
Features of digiKam
- More of photo management software rather photo editing.
- Free open source photo management software.
- Import, organize, browse and view images.
- Process and edit RAW images and share or publish online.
- Import module supports delete, upload, lock, auto-rename, auto-rotate, auto creation etc.
- Users can add metadata and edit in bulk.
- Image sorting options via metadata, image information, tag, geolocation etc.
Check out full features list here.
How to Install digiKam on Ubuntu
There are some ways to install digiKam on Ubuntu Linux which will be described here.
1. Install digiKam via Ubuntu Software Center
This is the easiest and straightforward way to install digiKam on Ubuntu. digiKam provides official repository through Ubuntu software center. You just need to search digiKam and hit the install button.
Or else you can run the below command if not comfortable with software center:
sudo apt-get install digikam
2. Install digiKam via AppImage
AppImage is relatively a new universal file format for installing software on any Linux distros. You can also download digiKam AppImage and run the software on Ubuntu or any Linux distros. In case you don’t know how to use AppImage, follow my previous tutorial on how to install software and AppImage on Ubuntu Linux.
3. Install digiKam via Unofficial Ubuntu PPA
This way is a bit risky as it’s an unofficial PPA repository. Run the below command to install digiKam:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:philip5/extra sudo apt update sudo apt install digikam
There might be a small delay of the latest version in case you use unofficial PPA.
Is this tutorial helpful? Share it with your friends and family on social media. Let us know your experiences using digiKam in the comment section.