Library management software refers to a modern and flexible system that enables maintaining the database for operating a library efficiently. It lets users manage and access various library resources through an automated system. Linux includes a wide range of applications for maintaining books and records smartly. This article tried to pick the most easy-to-use and intuitive web-based library automation software for both beginners and professionals.
Best Library Management Software
Here, you will have an extensive list of the best library management systems developed, especially for the Linux community. The list includes free and open source library software. Also, it has some paid tools with some advanced features. Let’s check it out below!
Koha is a popular and fully-featured Linux library management software. It’s an open source integrated library system distributed under GNU General Public License v3. It uses the Perl language to build and runs under the Apache server. This tool provides the facility of tagging, social sharing, commenting, and more. It runs effectively on Linux, Unix, and Mac systems.
Noteworthy Features of Koha
- It enables powerful full-text searching capability with catalog display. It lets you use the content from several sources like Amazon, Open Library, Google, etc.
- Koha includes a wide range of modules like cataloging, serials management, label printing, and more.
- Ensures interoperability with different systems using MARC 21, SRU/SW, SIP2, UNIMARC, and some other library standards and protocols.
- Also, available for offline circulation even if internet access is absent.
- Provides hands-on training on the utilization and troubleshooting of this tool.
Evergreen comes with a modern and feature-rich library catalog software. Georgia Public Library System has developed this tool using C, Perl, XUL, and JS languages. It includes an easy-to-use interface. Users can find various library materials easily using this tool. Also, this application provides a friendly and hassle-free environment for both small, large, and complex libraries.
Noteworthy Features of Evergreen
- Evergreen is another open source library software that is licensed under GNU General Public License v2.
- Provides SIP (Standard Interchange Protocol) 2.0 support to interact with several applications like self-check machines and computer management software.
- Enables powerful statistical reporting facility to retrieve any data from the database system.
- It includes features of self-check-in/check-out and registration. Also, it can set and reset the password itself.
- Evergreen runs on different platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux systems using backend database, PostgreSQL.
PMB is another open source library software that aims to manage networks of medium and large libraries. It is a highly customizable tool developed in the PHP programming language. PMB includes a lot of features for free to make it incredible for librarians, information managers, and documentalists. It provides a quality monitoring system of users and their requirements.
Noteworthy Features of PMB
- Allows users to catalog and access digital resources like online magazines, videos, various informative websites, digital books, and more.
- Provides a simple membership management system that can be modified with a single click. The status of documents can be visible in real-time.
- PMB includes several modules like e-mailing campaigns, documentary films, etc., to make regular communication with users.
- It is integrated with several tools that enable sharing bibliographic lists and exchange private comments within the members.
- PMB is a multi-platform library management software that can run on several systems, including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.
VuFind is one of the most popular and modern Linux library management software with a simple interface. This tool is developed in a way that users can effortlessly search and browse the library resources. Villanova University developed this library catalog software using PHP Pear language. It allows configuring the system with an extensive list of features without touching any code.
Noteworthy Features of VuFind
- VuFind allows displaying the live status of a record, including the location, through Ajax querying.
- It provides various suggestions of similar resources regarding users’ queries. Also, the system allows search with faceted results.
- It Lets users know about the author’s biographies with contextual information and other books.
- Can integrate with several COinS based applications like Zotero so that users can easily store and tag any records.
- Provides the facility to save resources from the record view page and also from the search results page. Users can retrieve the lists any time they want.
- VuFind can run on multi-platforms, including Fedora Linux, Mac, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows systems.
LibraryWorld is a popular web-based library automation software. It makes the way more comfortable and faster for users to organize and manage a modern library system. You can choose this application for both medium and large enterprises. A wide range of platforms supports LibraryWorld, including Linux, Windows, Mac, iPhone, and Android. It provides a 30-day free trial opportunity for the users to justify the features.
Noteworthy Features of LibraryWorld
- Includes a standard catalog module that helps to create, enter, pull, and update the catalog and records in MARC format.
- Using the Z39.50 protocol, LibraryWorld lets you flexibly search your library.
- Provides patron module, enabling a faster method for sending emails, including a short description of its transactions.
- LibraryWorld includes an Inventory module that lets users verify the items and provides instant feedback.
- Provides a wide range of statistical and catalog reports of every application you need.
Greenstone is another modern and digital library management software. The University of Waikato developed this tool under the New Zealand Digital Library Project. It’s the best tool to build digital libraries for universities, medium and large libraries, and different public service organizations.
Noteworthy Features of Greenstone
- Greenstone is an open source library software under GNU General Public License.
- It includes a friendly and easy-to-use graphical user interface with highly customizable features.
- Capable of importing files in several formats, including DOC, MP3, PDF, and JPG.
- Greenstone provides the facility of flexible browsing options like Hierarchy, Generic, and List.
- Available on all the major platforms, including Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.
- Provides advanced user guide and documentation, including hands-on tutorials to let the users get knowledge about this application properly.
Noteworthy Features of Invenio
- Includes a powerful search engine that allows the query for repositories of millions of records, including search facets.
- Provides the feature of organizing files and configuring the storage system and protocol systematically.
- Invenio lets users set up advanced authentication options using OAuth and SSO protocol.
- It allows extending the functionalities through several independent packages via many REST APIs.
- Invenio runs on multiple platforms, including many Unix-like systems like AIX, Linux, HP-UX, Xinu, and Mac OS.
OpenBiblio is another popular library management software that is released under the GNU General Public License. It is an easy-to-use program written in PHP language. OpenBiblio includes various necessary and advanced functionalities for a library system like OPAC, cataloging, staff administration, and circulation. Besides this, it also provides proper documentation and extensive language support.
Noteworthy Features of OpenBiblio
- Allows creating, retrieving, and removing media labels, member cards, etc., from the database.
- Includes Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) technology to locate books and other materials for patrons.
- OpenBiblio is an open source library software that brings a powerful administration to configure and manage the library, staff, serials, fines, and other settings of the system.
- Using RPT syntax, it creates reports. As a result, users don’t need to deal with any coding.
- OpenBiblio is available in both GNU/Linux and Windows OS.
BiblioteQ comes with professional library catalog software. It is another free and open source application, which is distributed under the BSD license. Using SRU and z39.50 protocols lets you retrieve data for various elements like journals, books, and magazines.
Noteworthy Features of BiblioteQ
- BiblioteQ provides the feature of cataloging books, DVDs, journals, music CDs, images, video games, etc.
- It supports ARM and Alpha architecture. Also, it plays the administrator role efficiently.
- Using this tool lets you get customized item data, displays, currencies, pricing information, and cover images with a drag and drop option.
- It provides Patron information, including PowerPC and Print support.
- BiblioteQ is available in all major platforms, including Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Mac OS.
Alexandria is a free Linux library management software that aims to manage personal, public and school libraries. This tool is written in Ruby and distributed under GNU General Public License v2. It comes with a clean and intuitive user interface. This library automation software lets you import and export data into several formats like ONIX, ISBN-list, and Tellico.
Noteworthy Features of Alexandria
- Lets users build their library with custom fields, images, buttons, and some other cool features.
- Alexandria includes a HIG-compliant user interface. Also, it is featured with the facility of handling book ratings and notes.
- It allows powerful searches using the title, author, ISBN, and keyword.
- Includes the facility of retrieving and showing the book information from different sources like Amazon, AdLibris, WorldCat, British Library, Proxis, etc.
NewGenLib is another feature-rich library automation software used for university, school, and public libraries. This integrated library system is developed in Java. It is also a free and open source program under GNU General Public License. Besides the standard features, it includes several modules for technical processing, circulation, administration, MIS reports, and many more.
Noteworthy Features of NewGenLib
- NewGenLib is a powerful open source library software with an enterprise database.
- Includes Twitter4J technology to send direct messages to Twitter users.
- Using Marc4j technology, it lets users read and write MARC data in MARCXML formats.
- Supports Unicode 4.0, including the feature of extensibility to support other languages.
- It includes robust security with a multi-user facility.
- It’s an operating system-independent tool that is available on both Linux and Windows platforms.
A modern library system is undoubtedly essential to manage the resources efficiently. In this article, we tried to let you know about the best library management software for Linux. Hopefully, this shortlist will help you to choose the proper one and save your valuable administration time. Besides this, do you have any other choices regarding this topic? If yes, don’t hesitate to share your thoughts. If you think this is a helpful resource, please do share it with your community.