Internet of Things (IoT) is a new predominant technology for this advanced world. This technology can change the lifestyle people lead. Question is what the Internet of Things is? IoT can be described as a network of physical objects connected through the internet. Physical objects could be anything that contains embedded electronics, software, sensor, etc. with the internet. Using the IP addresses, those smart objects can exchange data among the network and can make a decision. A significant number of researches is going on over the IoT trends and projects. In this article, we will talk about a few IoT project ideas based on standard IoT protocols, so that readers get the basic knowledge about the Internet of Things. These internet of things example are keen, useful, and interesting to build.
20 Best IoT Projects to Explore
Researchers are already working with advance, IoT based projects. But we will narrate here basic level IoT projects. Let’s see how many readers like to drive their car using a mobile phone or control home appliances from office. Similar internet of things example we will discuss below.
1. IoT Based Weather Reporting System
At first, we are presenting a smart weather monitoring and reporting system here. To update the report manually is time-consuming. Here the necessity of automated reporting update solution arises. IoT based weather reporting system brings a solution where this system uses temperature, humidity rain sensors to monitor weather and report weather statistics online.
It works constantly and sends data via microcontroller to the webserver using the WIFI internet. This system allows the user to set a threshold for a particular situation and alerts the user if weather reporting crosses the threshold value.
- This system does not need human attention to monitor, as it is an automated system.
- It helps to collect data in tough environments like a volcano, minefield, polar zone, etc.
- Internet connection is needed to both ends.
- The future advancement of this project would be predicting weather forecast and disaster.
- To build this project, you have to know how to use Arduino.
- It uses a learn-do-review methodology.
2. Touch-Based Home Automation System
Internet of things concept works with almost every machine. But when this is all about our home appliances, IoT proposes a smart, automated system. Using IoT based automation system users can control home stuff anywhere from the world.
In this article, we are talking about a touch-based home automation system based on microcontroller. It contains WIFI, inbuilt touch sensing input pins, which makes it helpful to make IoT based projects like this.
- Adruino and ESP-32 microcontroller used in this project.
- User needs a smartphone or touchpad to control home kinds of stuff.
- Setup of ESP-32 in Adruino IDE.
- Minimum programming knowledge is needed.
3. Facial Recognition Door with Raspberry PI
Imagine that you are standing in front of your door, and it opened up recognizing your face. This is an intelligent internet of things example. Science fiction becoming true nowadays with the hand of IoT project ideas. A smart door secures the gateway and ensures the right person entering your home. Microsoft already made face API by their research.
- This project built on three phases that are 1.Data gathering 2. Training recognizer 3.Facial recognition.
- Python code is used for data gathering.
- Raspberry Pi camera is used for facial detection.
- This internet of things example is not 100% accurate.
4. Liquid Level Monitoring System
Let’s talk about IoT based projects like a liquid level monitoring system. Liquid level monitoring system designed in a way that users can remotely check the level of the liquid. It has vast applications in the industrial sector where the user needs to monitor the level of liquid, whether it is below the mark of overflowing.
Theft detection, usage of chemical and leak detection are some of the usages of the liquid level monitoring system. Ultrasonic, Conductive, and float sensors are some of the few sensors for a monitoring system.
- The ESP8266 Wifi module is used to connect with the internet and transmit data to the required website.
- The ultrasonic float sensor will send data about the level of the liquid.
- Users will have a history of records from the website.
- It is easy to monitor from anywhere.
- In the future, this internet of things example will be developed for Bluetooth technology.
5. Smart Garage Door
Days of that bulky electronic key has gone. These days you can use your smartphone or tablet computer to open your garage replacing that clicker. Not only monitoring with a smartphone is the feature of a smart garage door using laser and voice command is an addition. Smart notification in run time gives an alert when it close or opened that is very much helpful for the busy families.
- Users can add IFTT integration that can create custom commands for google assistants.
- IoT based garage door increases the security of home.
- This internet of things example is easy to setup.
- Flask web server used in Raspberry PI to control the garage door.
6. IoT Based Alarm Clock
We use an alarm clock to wake up in the morning. But this is the world of IoT platform-based product. A small alarm clock can give you a lot more things, not just wake up call. Imagine a morning when your alarm clock just made you wake up from the morning, turned the bathroom light on, start playing your favorite music, open the curtains. One of the gifts from the IoT based idea is a smart alarm clock. Below there are essential features of IoT based alarm clock.
- Users can set the alarm via smartphone.
- Voice command feature can help the user even to start a video chat.
- Automatic brightness adjustment according to day or night.
- Audio amplifier volume control by voice command.
- Apache 2 server can be used for this internet of things example.
7. IoT Based Air Pollution Monitoring System
Air pollution is a common problem nowadays. Different particles in the air like led, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, pollen, and mold spores are making so much air pollution. Air pollution can bring lots of diseases.
It is essential today to use a mechanism to measure air pollution in an area. Research on IoT projects brings a solution. Newly discovered IoT devices can monitor air pollution and save data to the web servers.
IoT project ideas like air pollution meter bring a solution to the existing problems like previous air pollution meter was out of memory after some time. But IoT device uses the internet and saves data to the remote web server it has now become so easy to get a log of data within an area for specific days.
- This internet of things example can also detect flammable gas leaks.
- Particle matter detector, gas sensor, temperature, and humidity sensor are used.
- This type of project built based on Arduino Uno.
- Very helpful to detect air pollution close to the hospital or school.
- This project is cost-efficient.
8. Night Patrolling Robot
Security is a common concern for all. As most of the crime occurs at night, so the IoT project comes up with a solution that is a patrolling robot that uses a night vision camera. This robot patrol over a predefined path and detects alarming sound.
If found, it scans the area with its 360 degrees moving the camera and try to detect any human face. Then it transmits the image to the nearby user who is running this whole IoT project. The user gets the alarming notification to send by the robot.
- IR sensor makes it happen that a robot will patrol through a defined path.
- USB camera and Raspberry Pi are connected.
- Python’s language helps make its software.
- This robot can be cheaper than hiring multiple security guards.
9. Smart Parking System
Finding parking space is a problem for the driver. Sometimes it kills a lot of time of driver to find a parking space. IoT based project smart parking system brings a solution. A major purpose of this project is to avoid unnecessary traveling by a driver for the parking area. Monitoring the whole area at the run time gives the driver an image of the entire parking area, and the user can select that free parking space.
- Daily life problem solution by IoT based ideas.
- It uses an IR sensor for detecting free parking space.
- Illegal parking can be reduced with this internet of things example.
- This IoT based project is built on the Arduino board.
- The infrared proximity sensor can be used for finding space.
10. IoT Based Health Monitoring System
Health is the most valuable treasure of human life. With the course of time the life of people becoming so stressful that we are giving less care to our health. People are hardly going for a checkup. IoT projects like health monitoring systems can make a solution here with the devices that monitor our health regularly and send data to the doctor.
The doctor can check the current situation at any time and anywhere from the world. It is possible that sensors in the body of the patient can estimate blood pressure, sugar level, and heartbeat and immediately alarm the doctor if it is higher than normal.
- Adruino will generate the output.
- The doctor can check the current condition of the patient using his smartphone.
- Use of firebase for run-time data.
- Communication between Adruino and android app needed.
- This internet of things example uses Bluetooth technology.
11. IoT Based Smart Water Irrigation System
Agriculture plays a vital role in a country’s economy. It is difficult for the farmer to monitor the moisture level of the whole field and supply water. IoT project like smart water irrigation system proposes here an automated water irrigation system that can analyze the moisture of soil and climate condition. Users will be able to check the moisture level, and with the predefined threshold for a moisture level of soil, the power supply will be cut-off.
- Aduino/328p microcontroller is used to control the motor that supplies water.
- Users can switch on/off the motor from the webpage.
- This internet of things example will automatically stop if it is raining.
- In future data of different sensors will be shown on the BOLT cloud in graphical form.
12. IoT Based Traffic Management System
Almost every metropolitan city faces traffic problems. As the population is increasing day by day, the necessity of a smart traffic management system is undeniable. IoT based project like smart traffic management system can reduce the traffic problem. Sometimes it is difficult for the ambulance to cross the traffic.
Counting advantage of an ambulance, this management system connects with the ambulance driver and helps to find the signal where traffic flow can be controlled dynamically. This internet of things example also monitors traffic rules violators.
- Finding an emergency path for an emergency situation is easy.
- This IoT project can be used anywhere.
- Can identify traffic violator at night.
- It shows green light only for an ambulance, fire truck, or emergency vehicle.
13. IoT Based Baby Monitoring System
The idea is of the smart cradle system that will help parents to monitor their infant child from a remote place. This idea comes up with a cry detecting mechanism, Live video surveillance, cloud computing data, and user interface as mobile or web version. Different sensors attached to a cradle will check the humidity or temperature of the bed.
A surveillance camera on cradle will always send footage of the main IoT program. All the data will be stored in the cloud. Based on that data, a health algorithm will always check the condition of that infant and alarm parents if any unwanted situation appeared.
- This project will reduce the pressure of parents from a monitoring infant child.
- This is a Raspberry Pi-based project.
- Software language could be Python.
- Instant app notification system.
- Analysis sound of baby and alert parents.
14. IoT Based Garbage Monitoring System
With everyday life, we produce a vast amount of garbage. We can smartly handle that garbage collection system with the help of IoT based project. The garbage monitoring system will help to clean the city more innovatively.
This IoT project idea uses an ultrasonic sensor to detect the level of garbage in each garbage bin and send those data to the main IoT program. A webpage shows a level of garbage on each garbage bin and highlights the amount of garbage on each bin. A buzzer puts on when garbage is over the limit.
- For sending data, each bin uses Wifi Modem.
- IoT gecko web development platform used for graphical representation.
- Programming language C used in here.
- Adruino Compiler and HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor can be used for this.
15. IoT Based Street Light Monitoring System
According to a study, street light consumes 19% of world energy. Most of the street light remains On although there is no one around. IoT project ideas like street light monitoring system bringing a solution here. This project consists of smart street lights that have sensors to monitor humans or vehicles around.
Upon sensing the movement, the sensor sends data to the microcontroller; then it turns the street light on. If there is no movement microcontroller make the switch off. That‘s how this IoT project saves energy. Checking of faulty street light is another advantage of this internet of things example.
- LDR sensors used in this project.
- Programming language C or Python can be used to do this whole project.
- Users can get data from the internet.
- Automatically shut down in day time, which saves energy.
16. Gas Pipe Leakage Detector Robot
The gas pipe is an important part of the current industries. But leakage in the gas pipes can cause fire accidents, toxicity in air and soil and serious havoc. Gas pipe leakage needs to be found very quickly to stop any massive situation.
Typically leakage found through acoustic sensor or footage from the small video camera. But IoT based project can give a better solution. A tiny robot can crawl through a gas pipe along with its interface GPS sensor which can notify the leakage location.
- This internet of things example can detect leakage of 1-2 mm in size.
- IoT gecko platform used for getting output from the sensor.
- It can also detect leakage in a water pipe and petroleum pipe.
- It moves 3mph along the pipe
- Limitations: It needs a reasonably uniform pipe to move. But researchers are working to make it more flexible to crawl through any pipe.
17. Smart Baggage Tracker
Although only 1% of bags lost in airline travel, it is a vast number. IoT based project like baggage tracker can innovatively help in the tourism sector. The idea is very simple. Tourist needs to use a tracker on their travel bag. This project will send its coordinate to the users’ phones. This internet of things example will be handy for tourists.
- This project uses a board called FONA.
- Its microcontroller uses its GSM module.
- It reports its position every minute.
- ThingsSpeak API is used in this project for getting the coordinate of the device.
18. IoT Based Early Flood Detection and Avoidance
Flood is a common natural disaster. Flood causes loss of life and can destroy the economy of a country. Early flood detection can reduce the loss of life and property. From this concept, IoT proposes an idea of an early flood detection system.
This project counts various natural factors, including humidity, temperature, water level, and flow level to detect flood. The flow sensor monitors the flow of water. That result can be accessed from any IoT device from any parts of the world.
- To detect temperature and humidity, this project uses the DHT11 sensor.
- Float sensor always checks the water level.
- A flow sensor always monitors the flow of water. It consists of a plastic valve body, a water rotor, and a hall-effect sensor.
- This IoT project also uses the HC-SR04 ultrasonic range finder distance sensor.
19. IoT Based Wheelchair Fall Detection
Older adults need to handle very carefully. Sometimes they can’t walk, so they use a wheelchair. But older people fall from those chairs for a few reasons. It is important to help them immediately if they have fallen from a wheelchair.
This IoT based wheelchair fall detection project brings a solution here. If you are using the accelerometer and gyro-sensor on the hand of the patient or the wheelchair. Any jerk in the system will be counted as a fall from the wheelchair that will trigger the alarm.
- If the alarm is false, then the patient can stop the alarm within a few seconds.
- IoT Gecko platform used for software building
- This IoT example is based on the Arduino compiler and ESP8266 Wifi module.
- Programming language C is used in here.
20. Smart Anti-theft System
With the rapid growth of modern civilization, security has become a prior choice for almost everyone. Everyone wants to secure their home or industry from the intruder. IoT project idea gives a solution here. When the user goes out from the house, they have to turn it on the antitheft system which will monitor all the floor, and any footstep on the floor tiles will make alert the main IoT program.
When an intruder enters the house sensor sends data to the microcontroller. The microcontroller then makes it a valid signal and moves the camera and takes a picture. Users can see that picture on his smartphone.
- Piezo sensor used for getting movement.
- IoT gecko platform for web-based user interface
- Increases security level with immediate image capture.
- Raspberry Pi microcontroller is used for it.
There are lots of other IoT examples available on the internet. But These twenty IoT projects represented here will change the way of our lifestyle. Research on IoT based project is still going on. IoT project is a blessing to the new world. It comes up with lots of solutions.
Did you like any of the project ideas? Please share your ideas in the comment section. Don’t forget to share this article on social media.