Internet of Things (IoT) is a new predominant technology for this advanced world. This technology can change the lifestyle people lead. The question is, what the Internet of Things is? IoT can be described as a network of physical objects connected through the internet.
Physical objects could be anything that contains embedded electronics, software, sensor, etc., with the internet. Using the IP addresses, those smart objects can exchange data among the network and can make a decision. Research is going on over the IoT trends and projects.
In this article, we will talk about a few IoT project ideas based on standard IoT protocols so that readers get basic knowledge about the Internet of Things. These internet of things examples are keen, useful, and interesting to build.
Best IoT Projects To Explore
Researchers are already working with advanced, IoT-based projects. But we will narrate here basic level IoT projects. Let’s see how many readers like to drive their car using a mobile phone or control home appliances from the office. Similar internet of things example we will discuss below.
1. IoT-Based Weather Reporting System
First, we are presenting a smart weather monitoring and reporting system here. To update the report manually is time-consuming. Here the necessity of an automated reporting update solution arises. IoT-based weather reporting system brings a solution where this system uses temperature, humidity rain sensors to monitor weather and report weather statistics online.
It works constantly and sends data via microcontroller to the webserver using the WIFI internet. This system allows the user to set a threshold for a particular situation and alerts the user if weather reporting crosses the threshold value.
- This system does not need human attention to monitor, as it is an automated system.
- It helps to collect data in tough environments like a volcano, minefields, polar zone, etc.
- Internet connection is needed to both ends.
- The future advancement of this project would be predicting weather forecasts and disasters.
- To build this project, you have to know how to use Arduino.
- It uses a learn-do-review methodology.
2. Touch-Based Home Automation System
The Internet of things concept works with almost every machine. But when this is all about our home appliances, IoT proposes a smart, automated system. Using IoT based automation system, users can control home stuff anywhere in the world.
In this article, we are talking about a touch-based home automation system based on a microcontroller. It contains WIFI and inbuilt touch sensing input pins, which makes it helpful to do IoT-based projects like this.
- Adruino and ESP-32 microcontrollers were used in this project.
- The user needs a smartphone or touchpad to control home kinds of stuff.
- Setup of ESP-32 in Adruino IDE.
- Minimum programming knowledge is needed.
3. Facial Recognition Door with Raspberry PI
Imagine that you are standing in front of your door, and it opens up, recognizing your face. This is an intelligent internet of things example. Science fiction is becoming true nowadays with the hand of IoT project ideas. A smart door secures the gateway and ensures the right person enters your home. Microsoft already made face API through their research.
- This project is built in three phases that are 1.Data gathering 2. Training recognizer 3.Facial recognition.
- Python code is used for data gathering.
- Raspberry Pi camera is used for facial detection.
- This internet of things example is not 100% accurate.
4. Liquid Level Monitoring System
Let’s talk about IoT-based projects like a liquid-level monitoring system. The liquid level monitoring system is designed in a way that users can remotely check the level of the liquid. It has vast applications in the industrial sector where the user needs to monitor the level of liquid, whether it is below the mark of overflowing.
Theft detection, usage of chemicals, and leak detection are some of the usages of the liquid level monitoring system. Ultrasonic, Conductive, and float sensors are some of the few sensors for a monitoring system.
- The ESP8266 Wifi module connects to the internet and transmits data to the required website.
- The ultrasonic float sensor will send data about the level of the liquid.
- Users will have a history of records from the website.
- It is easy to monitor from anywhere.
- In the future, this internet of things example will be developed for Bluetooth technology.
5. Smart Garage Door
Days of that bulky electronic key have gone. You can use your smartphone or tablet computer to open your garage to replace that clicker. Not only monitoring with a smartphone is the feature of a smart garage door using laser and voice command is an addition. Smart notification in run time gives an alert when it is close or opened, which is very much helpful for busy families.
- Users can add IFTT integration that can create custom commands for google assistants.
- IoT-based garage door increases the security of the home.
- This internet of things example is easy to set up.
- Flask web server used in Raspberry PI to control the garage door.
6. IoT-Based Alarm Clock
We use an alarm clock to wake up in the morning. But this is the world of IoT platform-based products. A small alarm clock can give you a lot more things, not just a wake-up call. Imagine a morning when your alarm clock just made you wake up from the morning, turn the bathroom light on, start playing your favorite music, and open the curtains.
One of the gifts from the IoT-based idea is a smart alarm clock. Below there are essential features of IoT based alarm clock.
- Users can set the alarm via smartphone.
- The Voice command feature can help the user even to start a video chat.
- Automatic brightness adjustment according to day or night.
- Audio amplifier volume control by voice command.
- Apache 2 server can be used for this internet of things example.
7. IoT-Based Air Pollution Monitoring System
Air pollution is a common problem nowadays. Different particles in the air like lead, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, pollen, and mold spores are causing so much air pollution. Air pollution can bring lots of diseases.
Today, a mechanism to measure air pollution in an area is essential. Research on IoT projects brings a solution. Newly discovered IoT devices can monitor air pollution and save data to the web servers.
IoT project ideas like air pollution meter bring a solution to the existing problems like previous air pollution meter was out of memory after some time. But IoT device uses the internet and saves data to the remote web server. It has now become so easy to get a log of data within an area for specific days.
- This internet of things example can also detect flammable gas leaks.
- Particle matter detectors, gas sensors, temperature, and humidity sensors are used.
- This type of project is built based on Arduino Uno.
- Very helpful to detect air pollution close to the hospital or school.
- This project is cost-efficient.
8. Night Patrolling Robot
Security is a common concern for all. As most of the crime occurs at night, the IoT project comes up with a solution: a patrolling robot that uses a night vision camera. This robot patrols over a predefined path and detects alarming sounds.
If found, it scans the area with its 360 degrees moving camera and tries to detect any human face. Then it transmits the image to the nearby user who is running this whole IoT project. The user gets the alarming notification sent by the robot.
- IR sensor makes it happen that a robot will patrol through a defined path.
- USB camera and Raspberry Pi are connected.
- Python’s language helps make its software.
- This robot can be cheaper than hiring multiple security guards.
9. Smart Parking System
Finding a parking space is a problem for the driver. Sometimes it kills a lot of time for the driver to find a parking space. IoT-based project smart parking system brings a solution. A major purpose of this project is to avoid unnecessary traveling by a driver in the parking area.
Monitoring the whole area at the run time gives the driver an image of the entire parking area, and the user can select that free parking space.
- Daily life problem solution by IoT-based ideas.
- It uses an IR sensor to detect free parking spaces.
- Illegal parking can be reduced with this internet of things example.
- This IoT-based project is built on the Arduino board.
- The infrared proximity sensor can be used for finding space.
10. IoT-Based Health Monitoring System
Health is the most valuable treasure of human life. Over the course of time, the life of people is becoming so stressful that we are giving less care to our health. People are hardly going for a checkup. IoT projects like health monitoring systems can make a solution here with the devices that monitor our health regularly and send data to the doctor.
The doctor can check the current situation at any time and anywhere in the world. It is possible that sensors in the body of the patient can estimate blood pressure, sugar level, and heartbeat and immediately alarm the doctor if it is higher than normal.
- Adruino will generate the output.
- The doctor can check the current condition of the patient using his smartphone.
- Use of firebase for run-time data.
- Communication between Adruino and the android app is needed.
- This internet of things example uses Bluetooth technology.
11. IoT-Based Smart Water Irrigation System
Agriculture plays a vital role in a country’s economy. It is difficult for the farmer to monitor the moisture level of the whole field and supply water. IoT project like smart water irrigation system proposes here an automated water irrigation system that can analyze the moisture of soil and climate condition.
Users will be able to check the moisture level, and with the predefined threshold for a moisture level of soil, the power supply will be cut-off.
- Arduino/328p microcontroller is used to control the motor that supplies water.
- Users can switch on/off the motor from the webpage.
- This internet of things example will automatically stop if it is raining.
- In the future, data of different sensors will be shown on the BOLT cloud in graphical form.
12. IoT-Based Traffic Management System
Almost every metropolitan city faces traffic problems. As the population is increasing day by day, the necessity of a smart traffic management system is undeniable. An ioT-based project like smart traffic management systems can reduce the traffic problem. Sometimes it is difficult for the ambulance to cross the traffic.
Counting advantages of an ambulance, this management system connects with the ambulance driver and helps to find the signal where traffic flow can be controlled dynamically. This internet of things example also monitors traffic rules violators.
- Finding an emergency path for an emergency situation is easy.
- This IoT project can be used anywhere.
- Can identify traffic violators at night.
- It shows green light only for an ambulance, fire truck, or emergency vehicle.
13. IoT-Based Baby Monitoring System
The idea is of a smart cradle system that will help parents to monitor their infant child from a remote place. This idea comes up with a cry detecting mechanism, Live video surveillance, cloud computing data, and user interface as mobile or web version. Different sensors attached to a cradle will check the humidity or temperature of the bed.
A surveillance camera on the cradle will always send footage of the main IoT program. All the data will be stored in the cloud. Based on that data, a health algorithm will always check the condition of that infant and alarm parents if any unwanted situation appears.
- This project will reduce the pressure on parents to monitor infant children.
- This is a Raspberry Pi-based project.
- The software language could be Python.
- Instant app notification system.
- Analysis of the sound of the baby and alert parents.
14. IoT-Based Garbage Monitoring System
In everyday life, we produce a vast amount of garbage. We can smartly handle that garbage collection system with the help of IoT based project. The garbage monitoring system will help to clean the city more innovatively.
This IoT project idea uses an ultrasonic sensor to detect the level of garbage in each garbage bin and send those data to the main IoT program. A webpage shows the level of garbage on each garbage bin and highlights the amount of garbage on each bin. A buzzer puts on when garbage is over the limit.
- For sending data, each bin uses Wifi Modem.
- IoT gecko web development platform used for graphical representation.
- Programming language C is used here.
- Adruino Compiler and HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensor can be used for this.
15. IoT-Based Street Light Monitoring System
According to a study, street light consumes 19% of world energy. Most of the street light remains On, although there is no one around. IoT project ideas like street light monitoring systems bring a solution here. This project consists of smart street lights with sensors to monitor humans or vehicles.
Upon sensing the movement, the sensor sends data to the microcontroller, turning the street light on. If there is no movement microcontroller makes the switch off. That‘s how this IoT project saves energy. Checking for faulty street lights is another advantage of this internet of things example.
- LDR sensors were used in this project.
- Programming language C or Python can be used to do this whole project.
- Users can get data from the internet.
- Automatically shut down in day time, which saves energy.
16. Gas Pipe Leakage Detector Robot
The gas pipe is an important part of the current industries. But leakage in the gas pipes can cause fire accidents, toxicity in air and soil, and serious havoc. Gas pipe leakage must be quickly found to stop any massive situation.
Typically leakage is found through an acoustic sensor or footage from a small video camera. But IoT-based projects can give a better solution. A tiny robot can crawl through a gas pipe along with its interface GPS sensor, which can notify the leakage location.
- This internet of things example can detect leakage of 1-2 mm in size.
- The IoT gecko platform is used for getting output from the sensor.
- It can also detect leakage in water pipes and petroleum pipes.
- It moves 3mph along the pipe.
- Limitations: It needs a reasonably uniform pipe to move. But researchers are working to make it more flexible to crawl through any pipe.
17. Smart Baggage Tracker
Although only 1% of bags are lost in airline travel, it is a vast number. An ioT-based project like baggage tracker can innovatively help in the tourism sector. The idea is very simple. Tourist needs to use a tracker on their travel bag. This project will send its coordinate to the users’ phones. This internet of things example will be handy for tourists.
- This project uses a board called FONA.
- Its microcontroller uses its GSM module.
- It reports its position every minute.
- ThingsSpeak API is used in this project to get the coordinate of the device.
18. IoT-Based Early Flood Detection and Avoidance
Flood is a common natural disaster. Flood causes loss of life and can destroy the economy of a country. Early flood detection can reduce the loss of life and property. From this concept, IoT proposes an idea of an early flood detection system.
This project counts various natural factors to detect floods, including humidity, temperature, water level, and flow level. The flow sensor monitors the flow of water. That result can be accessed from any IoT device in any part of the world.
- To detect temperature and humidity, this project uses the DHT11 sensor.
- The float sensor always checks the water level.
- A flow sensor always monitors the flow of water. It consists of a plastic valve body, a water rotor, and a hall-effect sensor.
- This IoT project also uses the HC-SR04 ultrasonic range finder distance sensor.
19. IoT-Based Wheelchair Fall Detection
Older adults need to handle it very carefully. Sometimes they can’t walk, so they use a wheelchair. But older people fall from those chairs for a few reasons. It is important to help them immediately if they have fallen from a wheelchair.
This IoT-based wheelchair fall detection project brings a solution here. Suppose you are using the accelerometer and gyro-sensor on the hand of the patient or the wheelchair. Any jerk in the system will be counted as a fall from the wheelchair that will trigger the alarm.
- If the alarm is false, then the patient can stop the alarm within a few seconds.
- IoT Gecko platform used for software building
- This IoT example is based on the Arduino compiler and ESP8266 Wifi module.
- Programming language C is used here.
20. Smart Anti-theft System
With the rapid growth of modern civilization, security has become a prior choice for almost everyone. Everyone wants to secure their home or industry from the intruder. IoT project idea gives a solution here.
When the user goes out of the house, they have to turn on the antitheft system, which will monitor all the floor, and any footstep on the floor tiles will make alert the main IoT program.
When an intruder enters the house sensor sends data to the microcontroller. The microcontroller then makes it a valid signal, moves the camera, and takes a picture. Users can see that picture on their smartphones.
- Piezo sensor used for getting movement.
- IoT gecko platform for web-based user interface
- Increases security level with immediate image capture.
- Raspberry Pi microcontroller is used for it.
There are lots of other IoT examples available on the internet. But These twenty IoT projects represented here will change the way of our lifestyle. Research on IoT-based projects is still going on. IoT project is a blessing to the new world. It comes up with lots of solutions.
Did you like any of the project ideas? Please share your ideas in the comment section. Don’t forget to share this article on social media.
IoT is a predominant technology in this vast and modernized world. It will make our lives convenient and straightforward.
Please attach project related to smart light automation using Appace server
Dear friend hope all fine.I want to learn and built these project in automation can you please tell me what course i need to take please
Nice.. it’s very good explanation about IOT and its projects, in fact through this article i gain some ideas about IOT project and i want to implement these things. Actually we got a mini project based on IOT hope so it will help for me.
from where i can get the code of the projects
thats a good question.
thank you for posting ,I am also the final year students..i was more interested in IOT,i got some ideas through your post,,keep on updating this..
Thank you Vikram for your inspiration. I will try to publish more IoT related article next time with more research.
Dear Rakib, Thank you for sharing the top 20 Internet of Things based projects that can be made and put to use. Making use of physical objects and connecting them through Internet has been very well explained in all the different project ideas jotted in this article by you.