WineHQ is a well-known application for the Linux users. This piece of amazing software offers the user to install Microsoft Windows Software on the Linux / Unix environment. WineHQ is not an emulator or virtual machine rather it offers binary compatibility, graphics support, sound interaction, support for modems, networks, scanners, tablets, keyboards, and other devices. This software is very helpful if you need to run any windows software on Linux system.
The Wine development release 3.5 is now available.
What’s new in this release (see below for details):
- More Vulkan support, including the Vulkan-1 loader.
- Support for RSA and ECDSA cryptographic keys.
- Improved manifest file parser.
- Support for the Places toolbar in file dialogs.
- Various bug fixes.
See the full changelog
Today I am going to show you how to install WineHQ on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, and other Ubuntu-based distros.
Install WineHQ on Ubuntu / Linux Mint
- Run the following command into Terminal to enable 32-bit architecture from the 64-bit system (if you haven’t already):
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
- Now run the below command one by one to add the Official PPA and install GPG key to be able to receive software updates:
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key sudo apt-key add Release.key sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
- On Linux Mint 17.x, the last line should be the following:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ trusty main'
- On Linux Mint 18.x, the last line should be the following:
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
- Now update packages:
sudo apt-get update
- Then install one of the following packages:
Stable branch – V 3.0
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Development branch – V 3.5
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
How to Remove the Package
Run the following command to uninstall Wine:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove winehq-devel
Moreover, you can also remove the repository via Software & Updates utility under Other Software tab.
If you face any problem, please let me know in the comment section or you can always follow the official documents and forum to get the best solution of any sort of issue related to Wine HQ Installation.
One Last Thing…
Mind if you do me a sweet favor, and tap the Social Share Button if you learned something new? It’d mean so much to me.
Thanks again for spending part of your day here. Hope to see you come back. 🙂
Note: The features mentioned here are not all-inclusive. The features mentioned are compiled either from their respective official websites or from my personal experience using them.