FlightGear is one of the best free and open source desktop flight simulator available in the market. This simulation software supports all the dominant OS including Windows, MacOS, and Unix based system. FlightGear is developed and maintained by a worldwide community to create the most realistic flight simulator for everyone as a free and open source.
It has been used throughout the globe by flight simulator enthusiasts for various purpose like research or academic environments, pilot training, as an industry engineering tool, and naturally, for fun also. FlightGear is a realistic and challenging simulator which based on a sophisticated and open simulation framework. Moreover, the flight simulation experiences can be expanded and improved by the contribution of anyone who is interested.
Main Features Highlighted
- Free and Open source.
- Supports Cross Platform (Mac, *nix, Windows).
- Morethan 400 aircraft and a worldwide scenery database.
- Multiscreen and multiplayer environment.
- Highly configurable and supported by the active community.
- Flight Dynamics Models.
- Accurate and Detailed Sky Model.
- Flexible and Open Aircraft Modeling System.
- Moderate Hardware Requirements.
- Networking options.
Changes in FlightGear 2018.1 “Honolulu” include
- Improved support for add-ons and active volcanos.
- User experience improvements to the launcher.
- Improved control for aircraft carriers.
- Improved “Classic theme” with better fonts and colors.
- Active Volcanos, including Kilauea, Stromboli, Etna.
See the full Changelog and new features of v2018.1
Install FlightGear Simulator on Ubuntu Linux
Method 1: Install FlightGear via PPA
Run the following command into the Terminal one by one to install the FlightGear on Ubuntu and other Ubuntu derivatives.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:saiarcot895/flightgear sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install flightgear
How to Remove the Package
To uninstall it, just run following command in terminal:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove flightgear
And remove the PPA by following “Software & Updates” utility and navigating to Other Software tabs.
Method 2: Download the Source Code
Note: The features mentioned here are not all-inclusive. The features mentioned are compiled either from their respective official websites or my personal experience using them.