Video editing plays a major role in creating movies, music videos, advertisements, and so on. The importance of videos cannot be ignored as videos are the soul of stories, products, marketing, songs, and any visualization. And video editing software is one of the main prerequisites for creating a stunning video. This software is usually made for pairing more than one video clip or photos together and trimming clips from and to wherever you want. You can also add background music, transitions, effects to bring life into any video. This article prioritizes all the great video editing software for Windows available right now. This software can also focus on the key subject in a scene and draw the audience’s attention and fundamental operations.
Best Video Editing Software for Windows PC
This article is going to discuss the best video editing software for Windows available out there. Although there are many other options for editing video on your Windows PC, we have taken the number of available features, cross-platform compatibility, hardware requirements, customer service, Special effects, music, supported video formats, budget, and pricing consideration.
1. Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is now the leader in the market of video editing software for Windows. This software is used by both beginners and professionals. From commercial movies to general video clips, this software is tested in many cases and renders great performance in every aspect. Moreover, the amount of advanced functionalities sets it apart from others. VR Editing is also available, powered by tools like VR Audio Editing, VR Rotate Sphere, etc.
- Come with a responsive user interface that can eventually increase your productivity, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- A variety of projects can be opened simultaneously, and you can switch between scenes simultaneously.
- Can be integrated with any product from Adobe, and you can expect smoother workflows and fewer interruptions.
- Adobe releases frequent updates for this software as the solutions to bugs reported by the users.
- The conversion process is not required as you can add any video directly from your device.
- It is unique because of the flexible virtual reality support.
Pros: Backed by Lumetri Support while you can directly publish videos from the software. It also takes type-tool, libraries, and regional closed caption standards very seriously.
Cons: This software requires a highly configured computer and can be used free only for thirty days.
2. DaVinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve is one the best video editor for Windows that can render high technological functioning, and users can get their desired output from it. Starting its journey in 2004, DaVinci Resolve has become a giant in video editing software through continuous development. Along with Adobe Premiere Pro, it is another widely used video editing software around the world.
It has a reputation for delivering a great user interface, and it has been used for editing many Holywood movies as well. This software performs fantastic when it comes to color grading, and many creative professionals cannot think about a day without this tool.
- One of the newest features is you can now hide page icons to get extra pixels of the graphical interface.
- It can be integrated with the Frame.io cloud-based platform to share your videos with your team or get approval from the client.
- The music composition section lessens the hassle of editing music in another software.
- The functions in this software are adequately organized and easily accessible.
- Provides frequent updates to its users with solutions to the bugs reported by the users
- Equipped with powerful 3D tools, Resolve Fx, and YRGB 32 bit float image processing
Pros: Advanced color correction helps to get the desired color. Simultaneously, you can invert any color channel and the alpha channel, which is proved to be important for inverting any footage color.
Cons: Hard to understand the advanced functions, which makes learning this software pretty difficult. Besides, the motion graphics portion named Fusion does not work well up to the expectation.
3. CyberLink PowerDirector
CyberLink PowerDirector is a simple solution to video editing equipped with all the essential functions, just like Adobe Premiere Pro. This consumer-level application includes fundamental functionalities and helps newcomers to edit their videos in an easier method.
There is a free version available, although you can upgrade to premium to unlock all the exciting features. You can also take advantage of the innovative technology of Cyberlink to process 360° footages.
- It can be used on low hardware specification, and a minimum of 4 GB RAM, 128 MB VRAM and Intel Core i processor will be required.
- Comes with tools like Magic movie wizard and can track motion to produce great videos
- A wide range of Encoding and exporting options are available.
- Pre-programmed video templates are also there to help you process, select, and sort the best shots.
- Enable users to stabilize shaky videos while basic functionalities like zoom, pan, and setting anchor points are included.
- True Theater Color is another awesome feature that can analyze your footage and automatically enhance the brightness, contrast, saturation, and so on.
Pros: Action camera tools set this software apart from other apps while you can manage your project more efficiently through the express project module.
Cons: Unavailability of audio track panning is one of the major downgrades of this software. You will also find bugs sometimes which appear at the beginning of the exported videos.
4. Vegas Pro
Vegas Pro is a professional video editing software widely used around the world. Comparing to other video editing apps, it has a more reliable ecosystem and is backed by multiple resources. You can just drag and drop to cut or pair your videos to make a video ready for showcasing. While video fx can be implemented, you can enhance any video’s quality through the external plugins Vegas Pro offers for its customers.
- It can be used on any PC with minimum requirements without interruption, making it convenient for beginners.
- A massive number of effects, filters, and transitions for both video and audio are present, making it a popular video editing software for Windows.
- Inbuilt video stabilization is powered by state-of-the-art technology that can produce smooth videos.
- It comes with Planar Motion Tracking, which makes it easy to track and pin text or to apply color grading on the objects.
- The nested time functionality of this software can help to organize your projects and speed up your workflow.
- You can expect to get complete HDR color support and a unified Color Grading workflow.
Pros: Improved color curves help to keep the balance between colors automatically, and the sophisticated Lens Flare is also there to create different styles and look as well
Cons: It is not efficient for handling 4K resolution videos, and modernistic transitions could be added to produce better-looking videos.
5. Adobe Premiere Elements
This is usually a very basic level software compared to the giant Adobe Premiere Pro. It can be considered as one of the best video editing software for beginners available right now. Amateurs are the main target customer of this software. It can enable users to create stunning videos and share them with friends and family instantly. It comes with a video and photo organization tool that allows us to access a certain video and clip and organize them according to our wish.
- It comes with step-by-step guidance to enable beginners to create professional-grade videos and gain confidence as well.
- Two videos can be fused to match similar moments through its intelligent editing feature.
- Offers a Candid Moments feature, which will allow you to capture any moment from your footage
- This software can automatically select the best shots to save a lot of time for you while editing a video.
- Besides, automatic adjustments and automatic slideshow creation are also included within the package.
- You will also get a chance to explore advanced tools like Smart Video Trim, music remix, and so on.
Pros: This software is a one-stop solution for producing professional graded videos on the go, and you can switch to expert mode to meet additional requirements.
Cons: The toolbox is limited, and you will not set the ratio of your videos with this software. And. More plugins could be added to enhance its capabilities.
OpenShot comes with an easy-to-use interface for editing videos, films, and animation. With a rich set of features, OpenShot is completely open-source and can be used on Linux, Mac, and Windows platforms.
You will get support for both opacity keyframes and volume keyframes when it comes to importing and exporting. This software can also export in Final Cut Pro XML format, making it unique along with the advanced animation creating features it can offer.
- This cross-platform video editing tool can provide support for many videos, audio, and image formats.
- Equipped with powerful curve-based Keyframe animations while drag and drop interface is also there
- Comes with basic operations such as clip resizing, scaling, trimming, snapping, rotation, and cutting
- It needs only 4 GB of RAM, and you can add 3D animated titles and effects as well.
- Users can switch to the advanced mode from basic with one click and switch back as well.
- Advanced digital effects such as brightness, gamma, hue, greyscale, chroma key can also be completed.
Pros: This video editing software is one of the best editors for youtube users. You can also do time mapping (slow/fast, forward/backward) on your videos.
Cons: The post-processing of OpenShot is slow and comes with no Hardware Acceleration. Unstable performance is another major issue as many people have reported freezing, lagging, and sudden quit of this software.
7. Magix Movie Edit Pro
Magix Movie Edit Pro is one of the most powerful video editing apps for Windows available out there. It is only available in the Microsoft Store. It provides frequent updates for its users and solves the reported bugs. This application will cost you $99.99, which is very high for a newcomer.
Still, you can raise no question when producing professional-grade multimedia projects and awesome user experience. Besides, it is easy to use and includes industry-standard shortcut keys as well.
- It will allow you to import any footage, organize them in bins, label them, and process it accordingly.
- The user interface is designed to keep video editing simple and straightforward.
- You will be able to trim clips and move them around. Besides, all the traditional video editing features are also available.
- There is a tool called media pool, which allows you to insert transitions, 3D effects, and titles.
- Offers a wide array of quality templates with attractive text styles required to create a stunning video
- Specific looks can be applied while color correction, blur, distortion, speed, chroma key tools are also included.
Pros: Comes with premade templates that can be used for making trailers. So youtube or social media videos can be made with just a few clicks.
Cons: You will find no tool for importing and organizing clips, and its performance is often questionable when it comes to rendering large video files.
8. Corel VideoStudio Pro
Corel VideoStudio is one of the widely known video editing software for Windows available out there. Due to its advanced functionality, it can be easily compared to Adobe Premiere Pro. There are many handy features and tools present in this software required to convert any video into a professional multimedia project.
Besides, newcomers will find this tool relatively easier to use because of its dynamic user-interface. Advanced features like chroma key and VR video editing are also packed within the package. If you are making videos for social media channels, then this software is highly recommended for you.
- This software requires a minimum of 4 GB RAM and 1024*768 display quality.
- It offers the editing of 4K videos, 360° videos, and Multicam video clips.
- Take advantage of inbuilt features such as pan & zoom, Stop motion animation, and Color correction.
- Tool for lens correction is what separates it from other software.
- It has almost 2000 effects, the feature of stop motion, and three dimensional (3D) shape for texts.
- The software provides a faster experience in rendering files.
Pros: Accompanied by a great number of project templates along with Smart Proxy editing and Batch Processing.
Cons: This app needs to be updated frequently, and users may face unpredictable crashes sometimes.
9. HitFilm Express
Although HitFilm Express is not a common name, this software has claimed its place because it is completely free. It helps beginners work on their project without facing any interruption, and also it is packed with professional-grade VFX tools. You can download additional features according to your requirement, which makes it budget-friendly as well.
People like film students, gamers, YouTubers, and content creators are the main target audience of this software. It includes more than 410 effects and presets to keep video editing simple and straightforward.
- Users can customize their interface according to their choice.
- Individuals can embed effects on videos just by dragging and dropping.
- Comes with free video tutorials and projects to provide a solid understanding of video editing for newbies
- You can insert 360° effect on videos and select music from unlimited tracks and transitions.
- Provides PiP (Picture-in-Picture) feature along with color grading instrument
- It supports full 2D and 3D compositing and is backed by an international filmmaking community.
Pros: HitFilm Express has made file handling super simple while you can take advantage of Keying & extraction fracking, 3D model import, and Specialized effects.
Cons: Special effects could be included for every playback option while the performance is not also adequate while exporting a file.
10. Wondershare Filmora
Filmora 9 is the best video editing software for beginners who are very keen to learn video editing. This can be called professionally made basic software to start the journey of video editing. It can be downloaded from the website for free, but while exporting, it will contain a watermark of Wondershare Filmora in the free version.
To get rid of the watermark, the only solution is to buy it for $59.99. The annual fee Wondershare offers for Filmora is $39.99. If you are interested in this field, you can take advantage of its YouTube channel for free as it is packed with a ton of videos on how we can use Filmora’s features and video editing tutorials.
- The interface looks simple and includes every possible feature, so learning becomes easier.
- The library is enriched with many effects and transitions while it also offers royalty-free music to use in your video.
- Like other video editing software for Windows, you can Split Screen, tune color, Pan & Zoom with Filmora.
- Renders great performance to make the exportation process faster than other software
- It doesn’t require highly configured PCs as 2 GB of Ram is quite enough to run this software smoothly on your Windows PC.
- Advanced Text Editing, Video Stabilization, and Screen Recording are also included in this tool.
Pros: Unlike other video editors, Wondershare Filmora can process files in the GIF format that makes it unique.
Cons: It will continuously push you to upgrade to premium, which eventually becomes annoying. You may also experience Lag/flickering within the videos sometimes.
Blender is a great choice for editing videos when you are on the go. It does not cost anything and available to use at any time. This open-source 3D creation suite can is recognized as one of the most powerful video editing software for beginners. Starting from basic level to advanced or complex level, many features are available there.
Though it is called video editing software, it is basically based on 3D animation. If you are an advanced level editor, you may be interested in creating games using Blender.
- Advanced features include UV unwrapping, texturing, raster graphics editing, rigging, and skinning.
- Provides benefits for its users with 32 slots for assembling video, audio, image, and text
- One can change the speed of a video or audio and also put the layers accordingly.
- Users can mask their videos, which is a mandatory step for advance level video editing.
- Suitable to work with animations and Modelling with super Fast Rendering
- Equipped with advanced tools like Grease Pencil, VFX, Pipeline, Simulation, and Sculpting
Pros: This software shows the waveform while mixing audios that help users understand the frequency and amplitude. Besides, Blender’s user interface and shortcuts can be fully customized.
Cons: As this software is intended to make 3D animation, the video editing features were never easy. This is not recommended for beginners but can facilitate many opportunities for professionals.
Lightworks is a great competitor in the field of video editing software. Windows users will get this software for free with many features, but there is a paid version too, where more features are included. Talking about video editing software for youtube, Lightworks comes in the top 3 because it is easy to learn. You will also get access to amazing royalty-free audio & video content to make standout content for your social media channels.
- This video editing software includes a Multicam facility, which sets it apart from others.
- All kind of formats is supported while the user interface is simple and intuitive.
- Can export videos in 720 pixels without facing any trouble, which makes it suitable for the YouTubers
- It has made editing and trimming super simple, and you can take advantage of using audio and video FX in realtime.
- Though the 4K editing feature is available in the free version, Vimeo video exportation is only possible in the paid version.
- Sequences can be professionally graded through its 32bit GPU precision and histogram tool.
Pros: Beginners can make their hands dirty without paying a penny. And like other free video editing software, it does not really restrict editors as most of the features come with the free version. It has also released a tool known as Lightworks Console that can provide a tactile approach to editing.
Cons: Pricing becomes a major concern if you decide to upgrade, while a smart content analyzer could be included as well.
Just like Blender, Shotcut is another great video editing software for beginners. It comes for free, and users can get access to all the features available in this software. It supports a wide range of video formats and comes with video tutorials to facilitate your learning to a great extent.
If you explore this app, you will surely identify the developer’s intention to maintain a balance between the quality of the output and the quantity of the features. Besides, Shotcut’s cross-platform compatibility makes it suitable for users as well.
- Can expect to get powerful support from Shotcut when it comes to processing 4k resolution videos
- The user interface is pretty simple but packed with a complex array of features and tools.
- Allow users to add any number of media files just by dragging and dropping.
- Adding keyframes to any value in incredibly easy and can be altered anytime
- It offers a vast assortment of presets, which can be pretty helpful for exporting projects.
- Basic Joining and Trimming, effects, and chroma keying are also available.
Pros: This open-source video editing application comes with a highly customizable interface to meet your suits.
Cons: Many users have reported that Shotcut may sometimes crash while processing videos in high resolution.
Without any second thought, Avidemux can be called the easiest software ever to start learning video editing. Besides, this software is free of cost and does not require a lot of hardware requirements.
Although all the basic stuff like trimming, pairing, inserting transitions, or adding background music can be completed without any trouble, you can not really depend on its capabilities for handling professional-grade projects. It is equipped with excellent encoding options, and if you are new to this domain, you can give this video editing app a go.
- The user interface is different from other video editing apps as a central pool importing video clips, images, and audio files is not available.
- You can just add a start and end marker for clipping videos.
- It comes with a wide array of premade filters and transitions that you can use to make a great video.
- Audio tracks can be filtered, and videos can be zoomed smoothly when windows are resized.
- A good number of video exporting formats are available in Avidemux, along with task automation features.
Pros: Users can go through Avidemux’s Video menu to explore tools like noise reduction, deinterlacing, pop-art effects, and so on.
Cons: There is no option for social sharing and also restricts users from collaborating with other users. Besides, features like Video Stabilization, Text Overlay are also unavailable in this video editing tool. It does not support HD resolution as well.
InVideo is a high-performing video editing software for Windows. It tries to keep things simple and straightforward, making it suitable for people coming from any background. As a result, if you look at the number of positive reviews, you will surely understand the enormous supports it has got from its consumers.
Its awesome customer supports also proved to be a major reason behind this huge customer base. The developer team of InVideo has indulged itself in continuous development to offer better features like Animation, Collaboration Tools, Customizable Branding for their customers.
- Equipped with all the basic functionality like Media Library, Privacy Options, Social Sharing, Audio Editing, and so on.
- It comes with inbuilt Video Stabilization to get rid of jerky video clips.
- Videos can be split or merged, while text overlay and a wide array of templates are also available.
- Can process and export videos in HD resolution, and you can convert texts to videos to make a quick social media content
- You can also take advantage of Speed Adjustment, Video, and image management tools to extend the video quality.
Pros: Users can make short videos for their presentation without spending a lot of time putting in any effort. And 1M+ royalty-free images and video clips and 400+ custom builts templates are also mentionable.
Cons: This is a web-based application, which means it does not work well when the internet connection is slow. Also, video editing can eventually become boring as it keeps lagging sometimes.
If you are a newbie in this domain, then you can surely choose this software to get going. It can be easily considered as one of the best video editing software for beginners available out there. VideoPad tries to keep it simple for you when taking your first step in video editing while it is affordable and powerful.
You also use this as a video editing app for Instagram, YouTube, or Facebook as well. You will also be able to publish your video directly from the application along with meta tags, descriptions, titles, and so on.
- This entry-level video editing software comes with all the basic home editing features.
- There is a free version available for beginners to make their hands dirty, even without paying a penny.
- Accompanied by a significant library of tools and plug-ins, which makes it more effective for particular tasks
- Users can take benefit from the ample amount of supported software.
- You will be able to explore exclusive features like audio mixing to photo tools.
- Videos can be exported in multiple resolutions, while 3D Video Editing is also supported.
Pros: There is a built-in stabilization system that can reduce the camera shakes to a great extent. Besides, pre-made transitions are also there alongside a great sound library.
Cons: Advanced users will find this software too simple, while advanced technologies like machine learning and facial recognition are not present.
17. Machete Video Editor Lite
If you are considering the best video editing software for youtube, then Machete Video Editor Lite comes with one of the most user-friendly interfaces available out there. It is not only suitable for amateurs but also can process multiple audio and video formats.
It is a lightweight video editing software for Windows that can complete any operation such as splicing, joining, moving, mixing, and saving individual clips to build an entire video project. Among other exclusive features, Metadata Extraction and Windows Clipboard should be mentioned as well.
- It can save you a lot of time as Machete will save files after every change.
- Does not re-encode files before saving them so that you will get Lossless Renditions.
- Navigating through the Machete interface is super easy and takes no prior experience in video editing.
- A wide range of video and audio file formats can be played and edited as well.
- Currently supports AVI, FLV, MP3 video format, and they have promised to include more video formats in the upcoming updates.
- Video can be edited with audio effects and background music, and they can mix on their own
Pros: Allows users to edit metadata for all file formats while integrating one video into another. Besides, videos can be streamed and extracted as an individual file.
Cons: Machete will not support any kind of audio editing, and the file formats are limited. You can unlock more features with the full version, which will cost you $19.95.
18. VSDC Video Editor
The VSDC Video Editor has a pro version, although it has a free version, specially designed for beginners. It can be considered as one of the best video editing app for Instagram, while the learning curve is also easier than most other software in the market. VSDC Video Editor is only available for Windows users.
You can also expect to get technical support, but you will need to pay $9.99 for a single month and $14.99 for one year. If you want to unlock all the features and tools, you can upgrade to the pro version only for $19.99.
- The filters are similar to Instagram’s filters and suitable to edit videos on the go.
- Video clip masking is present, which is essential for content creators on social media platforms.
- Color-correction is super easy, and this tool is equipped with a massive amount of codecs, videos, and audio formats.
- Audio mixing feature is also present, while the Chroma Key tool can be used to remove the green background.
- Users can expect to get all the basic options like zoom, charts, 360 video editing, video effects, filters within this video editing app.
- Suitable for the outdated PCs as the hardware requirement is not so demanding like other video editors
Pros: It has a reputation for rendering great performance when you are exporting a media project. You can also add multi-colors and work with waveforms as well.
Cons: Free version does not include many important features, while hardware acceleration features are not available even in the pro edition of this video editing application.
19. Icecream Apps Video Editor
This video editor is a very basic one. It doesn’t have more features like other powerful video editing software for Windows. But, it can do all the basic operations required to produce a stunning video pretty smoothly. This software is convenient and can save a lot of time as it has an easygoing and understandable interface. If you are on the go and want to make a video within a short time, Icecream Apps Video Editor is the one you can choose anytime.
- Videos can be trimmed with a few clicks and come with a whole page of transitions.
- Videos are edited in one timeline and equipped with a full editing suite with all the traditional functions.
- Allows users to add transitions, effects, filters, and background music
- You can export files in a wide range of formats where 4k is also included.
- Just need to drag and drop files to get a production-ready video project.
- Hardware requirements are pretty low to edit video without any interruption.
Pros: This is one of the best video editing apps for Instagram because of its easy functionality for putting videos together. Moreover, it’s free of cost.
Cons: Developers could include automated features, while the premium version’s pricing plan is quite expensive compared to the standard competition.
20. Camtasia Studio
Camtasia Studio can be used to make professional videos. It is not free at all. Camtasia Studio costs $249.99, which is very high. This is not at all suitable software for beginners. Camtasia Studio has a variety of functions and readymade sets of resources to get the highest benefit from it. Besides, it comes with a variety of options for applying the screencast to output to your screen.
- Animation videos can be zoom in/out and pan from right to left and vice-versa.
- It has attractive title blocks, notes, and callout presets to use in videos.
- There are over 900000 stock footages, photos, music that are absolutely royalty-free.
- Can be integrated with PowerPoint, which enables users to show recordings during any presentation
- Camtasia Studio helps to edit audio clips, and you can also add graphics to draw the viewer’s attention.
- Editing effects can be implemented while sharing the files on social media platforms directly from the editor.
Pros: It comes with a recording plugin that takes screencasting to the next level. This also makes this product suitable for making video tutorials, Presentations, and so on.
Cons: It is relatively an expensive option considering the standard market of video editing software for Windows. And also, Camtasia could include more cloud options to integrate while large file size outputs often become clumsy.
It is hard to declare a video editing software as the best as some people are looking for professional-grade videos, whereas some simply want to learn video editing. You may also find people who are interested in editing videos on mobile only.
Adobe Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and Camtasia can be the best choice for professional video editing. But to start the journey with video editing, one may choose OpenShot, HitFilm Express, or Wondershare Filmora video Editor.
These are designed to keep things simple and straightforward, so you will just need to explore the tools and features to get going. Eventually, you will be able to dive deep into the field of video editing with the most advanced applications. But overall, Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve are the two best video editing software for Windows.
Video is the most popular form of representation, entertainment, projection and one of today’s world’s most common phenomena. It has not been limited only to blending images and sounds together nowadays; rather, videos can be considered the key to drawing your target audience’s attention in this competitive world. Starting from commercial purposes to the education sector, Videos are really important.
Even when it comes to content marketing, blogging, SEO, or social media interaction, video is important to focus on the more important things for keeping the message clear. A video editing software helps us bring light to our desired matter and engage the audience.
We have done extensive research to make this list of best video editing software for Windows. Whether you are a digital marketing specialist or a professional editor, or a beginner, you can check out this software to create amazing video clips.
But it is advised that you keep your budget and current level of expertise in your mind to choose the most suitable app for you; how much time you are going to provide for learning a new software should also be considered to make it yours.