There are lots of music player for Linux that gives us a wider view to choose the best one. Cantata is another one which is beautifully crafted for Linux users. It has some unique features that make it stand out from the rest. Cantata is a free and open source multi-platform supported music player for Linux, Windows, Mac OS and much more. It’s an MPD – Music Player Daemon server which runs in the background and needs one graphical user interface to organize and manage the music. You can make your old machine as music server by using Cantata and make a network with other computers. It can play all the popular and modern audio formats including Ogg, MP3, MP4, AAC, FLAC, WAVE etc.
Reloading the MPD database is ultra quick
- Supports Cross-platform
- Run all the files format
- Supports gapless playback and crossfading
- Free and open source music player daemon
- Qt-based application
- Can stream from various services like internet radio stations from Dirble, IceCast, ShoutCast, and TuneIn
- The interface is configurable
- Customizable layout
- Supports dynamic playlist
- Audio CD ripping and playback
- Top 10 Best Linux Video Players: Enjoy Ultimate Movie and Music
- How To Install Pragha Music Player On Ubuntu
Mentionable Features of Cantata MPD client 2.3.0
- Update some translations.
- Set Smart rules ‘files added in the last days’ limit to 10*365
- Only sort playlists in folders view, and place these after tracks.
- Reduce width of status bar spacer.
- Move scrobbling ‘love’ button into the toolbar. Use unfilled heart before loved,
and filled when loved.
- Better control of play queue status bar buttons when contracting/expanding.
- For windows, when adding local files (served via internal HTTP server) add
the real file path as a query item.
- Use smaller text for help text in Tweaks section of the preferences dialog.
- Fix playback of local non-MPD files under Windows.
There are lots of changes. See the full changelog
How to Install Cantata in Ubuntu:
At this moment, Cantata doesn’t support official software repository. But you can install this music MPD client through unofficial PPA and by downloading the source code from official GitHub page.
- Method 1: Install via Unofficial PPA
Open the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) or from the app drawer. First, run the below command to add the PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/cantata-qt
Provide the user password and press Enter. Now run the following command to install the Cantata:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cantata mpd
- Method 2: Download the Source Code
You can always install Cantata by downloading the source code.
How to Uninstall Cantata
Run the below command to remove the Cantata from the system:
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove cantata
To remove the PPA, launch “Software & Updates” utility and navigate to “Other Software” tab.
If you like this tutorial, please share it with your friends on social media. Share your experience and suggestions in the comment below.
Note: The features mentioned here are not all-inclusive. The features mentioned are compiled either from their respective official websites or from my personal experience using them.