Programming languages encompass the tech world, and we, living in the 21st century, are seeing a historical change. As we all know, these languages are widely used for developing various apps, mobile phone systems, etc., and thereby, the demand for these is increasing rapidly over time among developers. Among the different scripting dialects, the language which has secured practically 80% of the site market and tech world is PHP. PHP is utilized to fabricate sites and web applications. The use of PHP frameworks improves the intricate procedure of development by giving a stage where the engineers can work without much of a stretch from PHP applications in the briefest time conceivable.
Popular PHP Frameworks
PHP frameworks speed up the whole development process, and most importantly, the responsiveness of sites and applications fabricated utilizing PHP frameworks helps organizations and businesses satisfy their exhibition needs. Some of the reasons that make Php frameworks so demanding and popular are their speed, scalability, cross-platform, greater database diversity, etc.
It reduces the development time on a large scale, makes websites more secure, and furthermore, numerous groups can work independently. In this article, we have put together the Php framework list of the most used and fastest ones.
One of the topmost PHP frameworks used by developers is Laravel. Since it is a free, open source PHP Web application framework designed for developing MVC web applications, it makes development easier and more creative. Laravel is known as the top and foremost PHP framework among the top developers in the world as it contains object-oriented libraries and several other pre-installed ones that we cannot find in any other PHP frameworks.
Features Available in Laravel
- Laravel is best for complex and robust website application development as this particular framework is high quality and has clear documentation with a large community and advanced security.
- Due to its well-readable and well documentation, it helps to speed up our coding.
- Moreover, Laravel consists of strong encryption packets along with huge libraries.
- However, it is not good with shared hosting and also uses several queries in the database.
- Laravel framework implements authentication techniques became very simple because of Laravel.
Symfony is an open-source PHP framework with MVC architecture. Since it is used to build high-performance complicated web applications, it is one of the most well-known application frameworks among the open-source developers’ community. It is very robust as well as a mighty PHP framework. Projects that are generated using this particular PHP Framework are immensely extensible because of its architecture that is modular-based.
Features Available in Symphony
- Due to Symfony’s inbuilt features, it speeds up application development.
- As Symfony utilizes less memory, it permits developers to make robust and high-performance applications.
- Since Symfony is approved with MVC parts, it permits the designer’s full control over the setup and other critical highlights of improvement.
- The system code is clear and demonstrated in this manner, decreasing the number of errors made.
- Components in Symfony are supported with timely upgrades and enhancement of security.
Aura is a UI framework for developing powerful web applications for both mobiles as well as desktop devices, along with providing an expandable and long-lived lifecycle to bear building applications that are engineered for growth. Unlike the various PHP frameworks we have referenced as of not long ago, Aura is an assortment of decoupled libraries for PHP. It is normally refreshed and kept up, and thereby it is ideal for simple applications.
Features Available in Aura
- Aura consists of Object-oriented programming behaviors.
- This particular framework contains a tag-based layout as well as a component definition.
- Aura includes encased UI development with a dynamically typed event prototype and includes Integrated functional and performance testing.
- Aura thoroughly consumes events to associate with several components.
- Each accessible library is independent and might be utilized autonomously in any task, with no kind of conditions.
Kohana, in our list of PHP frameworks, is a very useful one. This particular framework used to be a PHP5 HVMC framework. It has proven to be one of the best platforms for providing professional quality applications.
This particular framework allows you to build massive web applications while leveraging a quick development architecture that is both powerful as well as instinctive. It is an absolute delight for the developers as it offers new and exceptional ways to find a solution to our existing business problems.
Features Available in Kohana
- The file system of Kohana is the most vital feature of this particular PHP framework as it uses HMVC (Hierarchical Model View Controller), thus making it much easier to access.
- Kohana is speedy, and it contains a smooth development process. The cascading style supplies an easy and also very productive way to approach the files.
- It makes debugging easier using Kohana as it is created with exception handling features.
- In Kohana, we don’t have to create the class every time; rather, it will automatically call the class.
- Configured files are placed in the respective configured directory; thus; as a result, it will return an array of key-value pairs.
Flight falls under the well-known PHP framework list. It is a widespread microstructure that is very swift, simple, and has a flexible framework. It is generally used to construct RESTful web applications. Flight requires PHP 5.3 or more prominent and is discharged under the MIT permit, so in this manner, it is an open-source network.
Features Available in Flight
- Developers use Flight not only because it is easy to handle but also because it provides tools to handle the usual development tasks such as class loading and routing.
- Flight also gives green lights to developers to manage requests through a logical routing system, set variables, add filters to methods before naming them, handle views, etc.
- To build heavy web applications, developers use Flight as it allows them to create the applications promptly and easily, which is one of the ideal parts of using Flight.
- Since Flight uses static methods, it does not require the application class to be instantiated.
Medoo is a very familiar framework used by developers from the PHP framework list. It is exceptionally lightweight, straightforward to learn, and works well with other popular PHP frameworks. Medoo is an open-source venture under MIT permit.
The best part about Medoo is that it will always be free to use. In this day and age brimming with innovation, Medoo is a consolation for a portion of those designers who would prefer not to get entwined in overseeing specialized coding necessities.
Features Available in Medoo
- We can use it anywhere we want, under an MIT license.
- Medoo bolsters all SQL databases, including MariaDB, Oracle, MSSQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Sybase, SQLite, and so forth.
- Medoo additionally underpins various conventional and complex SQL questions, information mapping, and turn away SQL infusion.
- This framework is less than 100 KB.
- Since it has friendly construction, Medoo is very easy to learn and use.
07. Code Igniter
Code Igniter is one of the finest PHP frameworks used by developers. It is an open-source web improvement PHP structure that supports MVC design. The key undertaking of this specific structure is to show a basic, simple and effective approach to finish a web improvement venture, therefore, raising the web advancement task hell free and quicker.
Features Available in Code Igniter
- Because of the accessibility of inbuilt security instruments in Code Igniter, it appoints an upgraded degree of security to the sites and applications.
- We can make, erase, addition, and update any announcement without the contribution of crude SQL by utilizing the Code Igniter PHP structure.
- There is a primary folder while installing several application files and other sub-folders containing config, model, controller, view, etc. While implementing any web development project, everything will be organized.
- Code Igniter contains a scope of highlights for unscrambling and encryption that permits the developer to send any information in a complete mystery establishment.
- What makes Code Igniter an ideal choice for the top dedicated web developers is its maturity, as it is one of the oldest and most dedicated frameworks for PHP.
Yii is one of the top PHP frameworks used by developers. It stands for “Yes, it is!” For all sorts of web apps, we can use Yii. It is completely established in the object-oriented system. This specific system contains some exceptional boss highlights like MVC, DAO/Active Record, I18N/L10N, reserving, validation and job-based access control, platform, testing, and so forth.
Features Available in Yii
- Yii isn’t, truth be told, basic and transformative yet, besides, is an elite, part-based PHP structure for creating present-day web applications.
- Moreover, Yii has a very easy installation process.
- Yii is ideal for quick development as it has code generators for CRUD operations.
- On the other hand, it consists of excellent speed and implementation. It is thoroughly extensible and allows developers to stay away from the difficulty of writing mundane SQL statements, as they can represent the database data in terms of objects.
- Yii framework can generate customizable codes with MVC.
- It contains several built-in widgets to validate or output data rapidly with Ajax support.
Zend PHP framework is an incredible choice for top developers to work on their heavy projects with dynamic web development tasks. It is related to well-known brands such as Microsoft, Adobe, and Google. This particular framework guarantees security and high performance. It is very easy to learn and can be easily mastered. Zend is entirely an open-source framework; hence it is free of cost.
Features Available in Zend
- Zend is an object-oriented web application framework.
- Zend is made of cutting-edge MVC usage.
- It consists of a light-weight component library, so it is easier to work with.
- On top of all these, Zend supports several languages and numerous databases.
- It is very easy to use and is solely an SEO-friendly design.
- However, we should keep in mind that Zend is not suitable for small-scale projects.
10. Pop PHP
Pop PHP is an outstanding PHP Framework, which is also referred to as “Popcorn”. The absolute first form of Pop PHP was discharged on 19 March 2012. It requires PHP 5.3 or more prominent and figures out how to keep up its moderation and lightweight nature. This specific framework, by default, uses a limited list of web-based components. However, developers can also add other components when needed.
Features Available in Pop Php
- Popcorn is a small-scale structure layer that can be utilized to construct REST applications and APIs.
- Utilizing Popcorn, a designer can apply directing standards dependent on demand techniques and quickly wire up a REST-based application.
- The POP PHP structure configuration is powerful; be that as it may, it is easy to use with a compelling API.
- This particular PHP system can be utilized both as a tool compartment or as a significant structure.
Cake PHP is an elite PHP framework used by developers. It is an open-source PHP framework for building web applications more quickly, as it is very simple and requires less code. It is one of the most financially savvy and gainful structures for web engineers of the 21st century.
It features Model, Controller, and View classes, along with some other additional classes and items that make the development process in MVC slightly faster and more efficient.
Features Available in Cake Php
- No configuration is necessary for implementing Cake PHP as it doesn’t require complicated XML or YAML files.
- Cake PHP consists of a friendly license and is perfect for commercial applications as it is licensed under MIT.
- This particular framework is undoubtedly secure as it consists of built-in tools for input validation, CSRF protection, Form tampering defense, SQL injection hindrance, and XSS prevention.
- On top of that, this framework’s codebase has been surveyed through the Mozilla secure open source.
Among this list of PHP frameworks, the Fat-free framework is the easiest to use and work with. It was started in 2009 by Bong Cosca. Following a moderate methodology, it generally abstains from including code and structure that are not carefully important while concentrating on the main thing.
Features Available in Fat-Free
- Fat-free is extremely powerful, yet, it is very easy to use. It allows robust and dynamic web applications to be built very quickly.
- It is amazingly lightweight, that is, Fat-Free sums for generally about 55kb only.
- It has a delicate expectation to absorb information, enabling designers to concentrate only on what makes a difference by not changing their coding style.
Nette is an open-source framework, which allows in building web applications for PHP 5 and 7. Nette supports code reusability in AJAX, DRY, and MVC. The first version was created by David Grudl, and Nette was further improved by Nette Foundation. Nette is open-source, and Nette is licensed under GNU GPL version 3.
Features Available in Nette
- Nette assists you in building websites by checking for security holes and their misuse. Potential misuse includes XSS, CSRF, session hijacking, session fixation, among others.
- The debug tools allow users to find efficiently.
- Nette also features AJAX/AJAJ, Dependency Injection, SEO, DRY, MVC, Web 2.0, and cool URL.
- The finder helps in searching for files with an intuitive interface.
- Safety traps such as CSRF are avoided.
FuelPHP was being developed in October 2010, and FuelPHP was first released in 2011. The main authors were Harro Verton, Jelmer Schreuder, and Frank de Jonge. The FuelPHP project was developed by taking other community developers’ views. It supports PHP 5.3+ in both MVC and HMVC architecture. Thus, multiple pages can be viewed simultaneously.
Features Available in FuelPHP
- Almost every component can be extended or replaced, making FuelPHP very flexible.
- A high level of security is also offered. FuelPHP has an inbuilt validation condition.
- A large set of templates and an integrated ORM are used.
- End-to-end web solutions vary in size and complexity.
- The application is further broken down into modules, making it simpler to use.
Phalcon, released in 2012, writes in both C and C++, thus achieving the highest optimization and quickest execution. One very interesting feature is its C-extension, so developers do not need to know C. Also, Phalcon is free to use. Phalcon is popular because it does not use expensive file stats.
Features Available in Phalcon
- The project structure is flexible, with neat and secure coding.
- Zephir allows customization.
- The web architecture uses MVC.
- Phalcon can also handle a higher number of HTTP requests in a single second than other frameworks.
- The RAM of the server is used, so very little resource is required for Phalcon files.
16. Typo3 Flow
The first version of the Typo3 Flow framework was released in 2011. Even though Typo3 Flow depends on the substance arrangement of Neos, Typo3 Flow can likewise be utilized independently.
The framework can conveniently interface with MySQL. Using this PHP framework, good quality web solutions can be implemented. The execution time is also very less for this framework; hence complex applications use Typo3 Flow.
Features Available in Typo3 Flow
- The web architectures used are MVC (Model-View-Controller), AOP (Aspect-Oriented-Programming), or DDD (Domain-Driven-Design).
- The coding is well-documented as an attempt to eliminate errors.
- A simple syntax involving conditions, loops, and arrays, is used.
- Typo3 Flow gives an XML structure to robotize layout approval.
- Modules written in other frameworks can also be used in Typo3 Flow with a few changes.
The design of Silex was inspired by Symfony, Pimple, and Sinatra. Silex is suitable for applications that have only one file. The structure depends on Twig (format motor) and Doctrine (database reflection). The API is brief. HTTPKernel is used to process requests and responses. Users can define their own controllers and map them to routes within a single step.
Features Available in Silex
- Third-party library functions can be incorporated as extensions.
- Even though Silex is used for small applications, Silex can be used for an entire MVC framework.
- Different advantages are the URL directing framework, web security, sessions, and treats deliberation.
- Monolog library logs demands and bugs.
- Testing web applications is easy due to the HTTPKernel being able to handle requests and responses efficiently.
PHPixie was released in 2012. MHMV architecture is used. PHPixie is thoroughly tested and extremely fast. The components can be used both within a framework and without a framework. Codes are executed line by line, and static coding is not implemented. All these make PHPPixie a favorable choice by industrial standards.
Feature Available in PHPixie
- Each component is 100% unit tested, so the user faces very little dependency.
- The configuration is easy, and the framework is lightweight with the help of MongoDB.
- Less time is required to load a webpage.
- The engineering can be changed deftly.
- A web developer who has already learned Codeigniter or Kohana can also easily learn to code in PHPixie.
Slim is a microframework that has a minimalistic design; thus, Slim is easy for beginners. Slim can be readily downloaded through the Composer dependency manager. Slim forms RESTful APIs and services. Slim is used in small and large web applications alike. Dependency injections are compatible with Slim. Slim can implement quick prototyping. In a nutshell, Slim is among the most preferred PHP frameworks.
Features Available in Slim
- Other wonderful features include URL routing, client-side HTTP caching, session, and protecting cookies with AES-256 encryption.
- Slim is continuously maintained and documented, so it is highly user-accessible.
- Any PSR-7 HTTP message implementation can be readily modified to show status, URI, headers, cookies, and body.
- Caching and logic control are also very sophisticated.
- Slim allows pattern matching in its HTTP router.
Agavi is licensed under LGPL. Agavi supports PHP 5. Agavi uses MVC architecture. Agavi is an incomplete tool to create a website; instead, you are expected to use Agavi as small chunks glued together. Because Agavi has a few simple in-built functions, developers have the freedom to create their own implementations in the coding process.
Feature Available in Agavi
- The code is neat and maintainable.
- Third-party library functions can be added as extensions.
- Agavi can be accessed by HTTP protocol, SOAP, and Commands.
- REST API can be used through Agavi.
- User input validation and user authentication can be customized.
The decision of the framework truly relies on the kind of site to be created for your business. The above-mentioned 20 PHP framework list is a thorough one. In any case, speed, versatility, and security are a few rudiments that each designer searches for, investigating these frameworks for a responsive and smooth web application improvement venture.
We hope you liked our list of the 20 best PHP frameworks. We hope that you will share this article and let others know about this list as well. And don’t forget to share your suggestion and experiences in the comment below.