If you are a Linux lover, you must have some knowledge about Linux log viewer tools. Log viewer gives you a full visual history of everything happening in your Linux system. In the logs file, we will have each piece of information such as application log, system log, event log, script log, rewrite log, process ID, etc.
Best Linux Log Viewer Tools
We have compiled a list of 15 log file viewers’ tools to give you clear insight and make sure of what will be best for you. So let’s get started.
LOGalyze does its job quite impeccably with the focus on log management. Also, it has the usability of network observation which comes with the package. When it comes to processing all of your log information in a single place, LOGalyze is helpful. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about whether it’s going to support your requirement or not because it goes with the Linux/Unix servers, network devices, and Windows hosts.
This software can detect all of your real-time events with the ability of intensive search. LOGalyze can define your events. Plus, it can alert you by comparing your log info. Moreover, you can close your events in haste with the ticketing system.
Features of LOGalyze
- LOGalyze is a Syslog UDP/TCP collector that collects plane text files over HTTP/HTTPS, FTP, SFTP.
- Works as SNMP trap collector.
- LOGalyze creates real-time multidimensional statistics on individual fields of the log.
- Offers a web-based customizable user interface based on HTML.
- Provides various output like- email, HTML online, CSV, XLS.
If you have long log files that are also quite complicated, then Glogg is the right choice for you to browse and search through it. This multi-platform GUI application is built to make things easier for you. Even if you have very complex log files, this application can do the job at ease.
Features of Glogg
- This Linux log viewer runs on Unix systems, Windows, and Mac OS.
- It opens a second window while showing the result of the current search.
- As read the root file directory from the disk without loading it into memory, it’s much faster.
- Colorize specific log files and search results.
- Supports regular expressions like Grep/Egrep.
- Glogg can also read the UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 files.
When it comes to a weblog analyzer that operates in real-time, GoAccess is the perfect choice for you. This open-source log viewer is quite interactive, which is made for the Unix-type system. For both the *nix system and web browser, this Linux log file viewer can operate in a terminal at ease. Even if you need a visual server report in haste, it comes quite handy with very fast HTTP statistics.
Features of GoAccess
- Allows custom log format string & Predefined options.
- This real-time analyzer can be updated on the terminal every 200 ms
- When it comes to HTML output, it can be updated in one second.
- Processing logs in the on-disk B+tree database is another ability of this analyzer.
- A minimal configuration is needed as everything is built-in.
- It can analyze the hits and visitors count.
- Bandwidth and metrics determination is also a plus point of this analyzer.
- It has multiple virtual hosts to monitor which virtual host is consuming most of the server resources.
You can understand your machine’s background work with the KSystemLog. This log viewer read the log file quite differently. If you are a newbie in the game and can’t find your system information or the location of the log files, then this program comes in handy. The earlier statement doesn’t mean that this program is only for a newbie, but advanced users can also use this. Advanced users can observe the issues that are running on their server.
Features of Ksystemlog
- Supports almost all types of logs (Sys log, Kernel log, Apache log, etc.).
- Has tab view to display many logs at the same time.
- Reads one log mode from multiple resources.
- Displays new log lines in bold.
- It has a group view to easily display logs considering log level, process, hours, etc.
- Gives every detail of information for each log file.
Sometimes Graylog can be used as a SIEM, but basically, this platform is for log management. With this tool, you can collect lots of log data and process it. Plus, storing those files as per your requirement is another great feature of this log management application. Moreover, this log management tool has a perfectly designed interface that allows you to search through your log records. Thus, you can get your desired data quite easily with this Linux log viewer.
Features of Graylog
- Ksystemlog can ingest any structured data, including log messages and network traffic.
- Provides a fully customizable dashboard with numbers of a widget.
- Use standard Boolean search terms for selecting fields and data types.
- Send real-time alert notifications to admin in various ways like email, text, and Slack.
- Graylog usually contains sensitive and regulated data so that the system itself remains accessible, secure, and speedy.
- Has predefined templates to display data.
Frontail is a node.js made application that streams server logs to the browser. Frontail is a Tail-f with a user interface. It’s an open-source, cross-platform supported tool that runs under Linux, OpenBSD, macOS.
Features of Frontail
- Frontail scrolls automatically to mark logs.
- Shows list of unread logs in favicon.
- Smooth user interface with Default and Dark themes.
- Highlights important log.
- Tail multiple files and standard input.
- Can search the logs and can set filter from the URL parameter.
Whether it is your log files or command output, you can observe both of them with Multitail. This log viewer allows you to observe them in multiple windows. When it comes to viewing multiple files as an original tale program, Multitail does the job quite impeccably. Multitail can make the functionality of tools like “watch”.
Features of Multitail:
- Shows log more than one file in multiple windows.
- You can get online help for a particular context.
- The developer can merge and search multiple log files into one.
- Log files can be filtered with the assistance of one or a lot of regular expressions.
- This tool can act like a “visual pipe” for displaying inputs.
- Configuration can be set from the command line.
Logstash is a server-side data processing tool to gather, process, and forward events and system log messages. Assemblage is accomplished via configurable input plugins with raw socket/packet communication, file tailing, and several system messages. This Linux log file Viewer can load unstructured data quickly, offers you lots of pre-built filters so you can transform and index data, and has a flexible plugin architecture.
Features of Logstash:
- Logstash can insert data from various sources and can send it to multiple destinations.
- Can insert any shapes, sizes, and sources of data.
- Has unified integration with Elasticsearch, Beats, and Kibana.
- When it comes to processing the HTTP request and sending a response, this tool is pretty handy.
- Logstash is also used for sensor data and the Internet of things.
- Like Apache and windows events logs, this tool can process all types of data.
Logwatch is a powerful multipurpose log analyzer that is considered an integrated report of all the actions on a server. It can recap logs from different machines in a single report. This Linux log viewer generates a periodic report specified by user criteria. The incredible thing about this tool is it scans log files and presents data in a human-readable form.
Features of Logwatch:
- Logwatch sent instant log alert when any security Breach or performance issue happened.
- The developer can use a personalized dashboard focusing on their importance.
- Powerful search option, including a smart filtering system.
- Has pre-made reports that help developers to create standard reports easily.
- The most important feature of Logwatch is, it detects intruders and security breaches.
- Using this tool, developers can protect the network from an internal security breach and analyze security threats.
This Linux log file viewer is an easy and widely used tool that allows a system administrator to analyze the log files created upon hosts under their control. After filtering out the normal entries, it does mail a summarized report to the developer. Logcheck helps to spot the problem on the server and security breach. If any issue happened, it sends mail to the administrator periodically.
Features of Logcheck
- Logcheck has a Cloud-based dispatch management system.
- The developer can access this tool using their mobile phone also.
- Gives instant information about security problems.
- The log can be filtered easily with regular expression.
- Sends instant notification by email.
- Has Important pre-made report templates to make an instant report.
When it comes to having a contented and quick way to observe every log file on your system, the Xlogmaster can withstand the competition. This GUI program has the most convenient way to observe everything that’s happening in your system. This program is based on the graphical interface, and because of its easy configuration, any user can manipulate this interface as per their requirement.
Features of Xlogmaster
- Xlogmaster has an easy plugin integration system.
- Has a completely customizable menu.
- Log execution allows pipes.
- Has excellent Keyboard accelerators.
- Support for a system-wide entry database & personal entry database.
- Xlogmaster now catches log file rotations.
This Linux log viewer is based on an advanced console system with having lots of similarities with others. However, this particular log viewer is quite popular with developers because of its advanced features. Also, it can decompress all the zip-type files. When you are using this particular log viewer, you won’t need multiple windows. Because of its merging capabilities, you can observe more than one file in a single window. Plus, all the warnings and errors in this log viewing process will be highlighted automatically.
Features of Lnav
- All log files are merged into a single message on timestamps. Users can easily monitor all the logs from one window.
- Lnav can extract data automatically.
- Automatic log format detection is the most amazing feature of Lnav.
- It Displays only those lines that match or not with a set of regular expressions.
- The Timeline view gives a histogram of the message over time.
- Can perform SQL queries without loading the data into the SQL database.
The Nagios is also another open-source log monitoring tool. It checks from time to time on vital parameters of all the applications that are running by the system. Alongside the log files, you can monitor the usage of the memory and space in your disk. Also, viewing the microprocessor loads and currently running processes is a plus for this log monitoring tool.
Features of Nagios
- Nagios can monitor almost all types of the network like SMTP, POP3, HTTP, NNTP, PING, etc.
- It has an optional web interface to view real-time network status, notifications, problem history, log files, etc.
- Capability to describe event handlers to be route during service or host events for hands-on problem resolution.
- Has easy parallelized service checking.
- Simple plugin design and UI allow users to customize their service check.
- Nagios can monitor host resources as memory usage, disk space, microprocessor load, etc.
This small system administrator tool named Journalctl comes in pretty handy. Plus, this tool has comfortable operations for Linux-based users. Basically, Journalctl is a journal’s message displaying tool which can be used for querying also. Usually, the journal has lots of binary files, and that’s why journalctl is a perfect method to view all the messages from it.
Features of Journalctl
- You can view logs in Syslog format with Journalctl, which is quite traditional.
- When it comes to filtering the entries, the file path can be specified as an argument.
- The output is paged through less by default, and long lines are “truncated” to the screen.
- Additional constraints can be added using some specified options.
Swatch is a simple log watcher that was designed to monitor system activity. Swatch can watch any type of logs for regular expression as per your configuration. Also, you can use the command line to run these tools in the background. This open-source log viewer tool is now called Swatchdog.
Features of Swatch
- It sweeps your log file on a regular basis to look for the user-defined keyword.
- This tool has protection from DOS attacks.
- It can be defined to watch for specific logs.
- With this log viewer, you can watch out for any suspicious activities.
In this article, we have tried to sort out some of the best Linux log viewer and log file management tools that ultimately help you choose the best one for your system. I strongly suggest you install a few of them and justify the requirement for getting the best one.
Is this article helpful? If so, please take a moment to share it on your social media. And don’t forget to share your experiences and suggestion in the comment below.