So here comes the million dollar question, why does anyone use Lightweight Linux distros? While all the modern Linux distros come with stunning and amazing desktop environment that ensure full utilization of GPU and other resources. There might be some best answers for this obvious question.
- If the computer became old enough and you want to bring a new life in it
- Machine may be modern and latest but run on low power like Raspberry Pi
- Install on modern computer to save the resources for other useful and demanding task
So if your demand falls in the above-mentioned category then you must go for a best lightweight Linux distro. But which one do you choose? While there are lots of options out there.
Best Lightweight Linux Distros
To give a timely and effective answer to the above question, I am here to share with you a list of Best Lightweight Linux distros. So that you can choose the best-fitted one for your machine. Let’s begin the countdown.
Recommend Read: Best Linux Gaming Distros: 5 Shortlisted Recommendation
5. Linux Lite
Linux Lite is one of the popular and easy to use lightweight Linux distros out there. It’s based on Ubuntu LTS which ensures access to thousands of Ubuntu software through its ever-growing app repository. It a perfect and best suited lightweight Linux distro for any old laptop as it takes very less power and resources to run.
- It can run on all sort of older hardware smoothly.
- Based on Ubuntu LTS.
- Uses XFCE desktop environment which is simple and easy to use.
- This distro is good and best fitted for any newbie Linux user.
- Supported by Ubuntu software repository.
Minimum System Requirement
- 700MHz processor
- 512mb RAM
- VGA screen 1024×768 resolution
- DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image
- At least 5 GB free disk space
4. Trisquel Mini
Trisquel Mini is a smaller and lightweight version of the main distro Trisquel which is based on Ubuntu LTS. This lightweight Linux distro is made for especially lower power old machines and netbooks.
- It uses the minimal LXDE desktop environment and X Window system.
- Perfect alternatives of traditional GNOME or KDE/Qt applications.
- Synaptic Package Manager can be used to install the necessary software.
- You can use Live CD for testing purpose
- It offers familiar Ubuntu-based graphical installer during permanent installation.
This lightweight Linux distro for those who do not want to compromise with their favorite software but want to use less resource hog distro for the old machine. Lubuntu is basically designed for old netbooks and computer with LXDE desktop environment which is focused on being fast and energy efficient.
Recommended Read: Top 5 Best Looking Linux Distro We Recommend You To Use
- Perfect lightweight Linux distro for netbooks and older machines.
- Comes with a set of important software and tools like office, the internet, multimedia, graphics apps, and some useful tools and utilities.
- It offers less resource intensive software and best alternative whenever possible.
- It supports Ubuntu software repository which gives access to thousands of additional packages that can be installed through graphical software management tools.
- It is merged with Razor-qt and is being developed as LXQt.
Minimum System Requirement
- Pentium II or Celeron CPU with PAE support
- 128MB of RAM
- 2GB of hard-drive
2. Puppy Linux
Puppy Linux is one of the best Lightweight Linux distros available out there. This distro takes very little resources to run on an old machine and is aimed at turning out slim, sleek and fast distros. Many unconventional but effective and useful apps and tools come pre-bundled like Homeback for finance management, AbiWord, MyPlayer, and graphical tools to manage Samba shares and set up a firewall etc.
- It can directly boot from RAM and takes very little resources.
- DVD or Flash drive can be used as a storage device if you run it from those devices.
- A set of best alternative and less resource hog software comes pre-packed.
- The latest version of Puppy Linux is based on Ubuntu, so users will get access to ubuntu software repository to install necessary applications.
Minimum System Requirement
- 500MHZ processor
- 128MB RAM
- 512MB free hard drive space to create an optional save file
- No hard drive required booting a Live Disc.
- CD-ROM any speed
1. Tiny Core
Tiny Core is the most lightweight Linux distros, only 15 MB, which was forked from a Damn Small project but now it’s completely developed independently. This Linux distro comes with the minimal interface and very few software installed.
- Perfect for any old or ancient computer
- Takes very less time to boot than any other OS out there
- By default, it comes with FLTK/FKWM and BusyBox desktop
- Total three types of edition available Core, Tiny Core, and CorePlus
- It comes with a set of software installed but you can also install other applications later.
Some Honorable Mentions of Lightweight Linux Distros are given below:
- Bodhi Linux
- Peppermint OS
- Manjaro Linux XFCE Edition
This is a very small list of best lightweight Linux distros but there are hundreds of tiny distros out there you can find on DistroWatch. But I have chosen the above one based on stability, less resource consumption, easy to use, simple interface and solid security. All the above lightweight Linux distro is very easy to install, simple interface and runs smoothly on older computers and netbooks.
What’s Your Favorite one?
Did you like this list of Best Lightweight Linux Distros? If you find any other best lightweight Linux distro out there, feel free to share with us in the comment section so that It can be included in the next update. Thanks for spending your valuable time here.