An educational expense is always high all over the world. This expense will be more if you want to use educational software on your machine. You may be searching over the net to get the best educational software for the kids or yourself. If you are using Linux distro, then I can help you get a list of best Linux educational software. If you are a student, you may doubt in mind that Linux rarely provides software which supports educational purposes. Wait a minute ……….. You should correct yourself now as you will see the following list.
Best Linux Educational Software
Here, I will show you a generic list of Best Linux Educational Software which ultimately helps you to get the best one for your kid.
1. KDE Edu Suite
KDE Edu suite is not just software; it is a package of software for different user purpose. This was started as a free educational package named as KDE educational project which now included lots of software package. This software can be used for a kid’s first learning app, can be used as a school teaching software and but also for the adult person’s need based on their necessity. The package is full of different software, you choose your variant (for kids purpose, for school purpose, for university purpose ) and install it on your device. All this software is free for you
- Huge software package
- Available for a different use (age – subject- need)
- Can be installed on different KDE distros
- Free packages
Installation of KDE Edu Suite:
KDE Edu Suite can be installed on most GNU/Linux distributions; It can also be installed from the software center. If not found, you can install the latest KDE Edu Suite on Ubuntu/Mint by typing the following commands in the console:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install indi-full kstars-bleeding
If you are a business person who usually works with numbers, function, and calculation, Linux is with you for helping with all those calculative tasks. GNUKhata is an open source accounting and inventory management software available for free
- Lightweight accounting software
- Easy to use and fast
- Robust and reliable
- Based on a double entry bookkeeping system
- Full servicing facility for significant reports
- Making reports ranging from Ledgers to balance sheet
- All transactions like Sales, Purchase, Contra, Journal, Receipt, Payment
- Unique document controlling facility in vouchers and inventory
- Linking to sales and purchase transactions to invoices
- Export and import from a different software package
- Available of for-profit or nonprofit organization and company
GNUKhata is available now for Debian/Ubuntu distribution like Ubuntu and Linux Mint. GNUKhata provides the following procedures
- Download the installer from here.
- Open the terminal in download location.
- Copy and paste the below code in terminal and run.
sudo chmod 755 GNUKhatasetup.run sudo ./GNUKhatasetup.run
3. Google Earth
Interested in geology, earth, material science? Google earth Linux version may be your next choice. Google earth is the most reliable, free and fully update the software for this type of need. Some say it the best application to learn about earth-space-material science.
- render a 3D representation of earth based on satellite image
- Provide GPS communication system
- Provide area – weather – map update of the world with a history
- Render 3D image – ocean- sea view
- Also, have access to outer space science technology
- A particular project like google mars can even get access through google earth.
Google Earth is also available for different distros, in Ubuntu you can install it using apt-get by opening a terminal window and entering the following command:
sudo apt-get install google-earth-stable
But there are several other options to install it but for me this easy and fastest.
- 3D rendering of space science
- Regular update feature to cop up with new space news.
- Simulation software to observe different space matters
In ubuntu 15.10 it was possible to install Celestia by using just apt. Open your terminal and write the following code
sudo apt-get install celestia celestia-gnome celestia-common-nonfree
It is always said Linux is for everyone. This particular software is specially developed for kids education. Now it has more than 100 activities for kids to learn through different types of task. An application includes puzzle games, teaching alphabets, math problems especially for kids, Try it for your kids today
- Learning about the computer: keyboard, mouse, touchscreen, and others
- reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text
- Mathematics: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table
- Science class: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy
- Geography: countries, regions, culture
- Games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe
- Learning other: colors, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time
- Available for Raspberry Pi
Installing Gcompris package on Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) by running the following command on terminal:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gcompris
Or download the official package
It is the best mathematical software to play with function, graph, numerical numbers, geometry, algebra, calculus, statistics and 3D mathematics. It helps to work with geometric function, rendering graph based on service. This particular application not only used for educational purpose but also for scientific research which is the best part of it.
- Solve mathematical function
- Solve calculus, numerical problems, and statistical purposes
- Render graph from a function
- Solve geometric problem
- 3D graphical calculator
For different distros, GeoGebra keeps the installation program same which is more comfortable for usual users. Download the package and install it.
From here you can download the version which is suitable for your software architecture and install it.
Maple is an open source math software which combines the world’s most powerful math engine with an interface. MAPLE is widely used for it’s straightforward to analyze, visualize, explore and solve mathematical problems. This application is specially used for scientific research
- Solve mathematical function
- Develop 3D simulation for a mathematical function
- Solve different type of maths like a differential equation
- Matrix manipulation with solving element
- Data manipulation, visualization, and analysis
Scratch is an open source free software for developing interactive stories, design games, and animations. This is one of the best application which works on a creative domain and got lot attention for users for its versatility on game development and animation.
- Develop animation
- Develop game
- Design character and cartoon
- Learning programming for kids
- Design, develop and share with the community feature
This is the method provided by scratch website to install in Ubuntu, You can find it here
Want to teach your kids to learn computer, puzzle, math? Tux4Kids is the best answer for this. This application is free and available for all distros in Linux OS. The app is widely used in the school because the software is a combination of fun and learning features.
- Learning painting with necessary tools for learning graphics.
- Learning math using puzzles and fun problems
- Type learning software included also
To install it your device follow the following code in your device through terminal :
sudo apt-get install tuxmath
In Linux distribution community it is the most valid and updated dictionary software available for free. It supports multiple language searching, treasure feature. It’s sharing feature made it unique from the other software system.
- Multiple language support
- Updated and valid data
- Sharing feature
- Simple, easy using UI
Installation For regular users who aren’t wanted to mess up with terminal code issue developer updated the software through ubuntu apps directory which is available in the software center. You can download it from here
At last, I have come to the last of my article. But There are hundreds of other excellent and useful Linux educational software available in the market. Linux is an ocean where you will find different fishes with different taste. So never mind if you don’t like this generic list of best Linux educational software. Try to choose another one from the software repository. And don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section.