The world has been transformed into a microcosm because of the internet that offers camaraderie through sharing information and values. Global cognitive norm is getting evaded as to the data is being spied what implies internet security is at stake. Chameleon sources are tremendously cynical; hence; free flow of information is getting impeded to a more significant extent. A continuing threat of hacking and spying proliferation has triggered the alarm to encrypt data to protect it from the brute-attacker. To this end, there is plenty of files and disk encryption software that could be used on the Linux platform, and thus; information and data would have had to be protected from the brute-attacker.
Disk and File Encryption Software for Linux
Encryption is a process that converts a plain text to code number what is merely readable by the authorized people. Again, it would be understandable to the typical users only if it is decrypted. Having encrypted the data with the disk or file encryption software, all the electronic devices, namely laptop and computer, can be secured thoroughly. Besides, in this competitive age, the rivalry is everywhere.
Organization and companies try to collect information in different means in a bid to take the competitive edge that eventually might lead to malpractice. To prevent data from having been stolen from the laptop and computer; there is a significant number of handy disk, and file encryption software on the Linux platform and all of those have been discussed in the following.
EncFS is a plausible and tremendously user-friendly file encryption software that would be used on the Linux platform. It works in a particular way, i.e., data get stored in the rootdir directory through a virtual file system moreover; mountPoint list makes the data available to visualize the unencrypted data to the users. Also, a password has to be supplied to encrypt the file contents along with the file names simultaneously.
The EncFS performs distinctly, for instance; if at a specific rootdir directory it cannot track the supported file system it will pop up a suggestion to generate a new file system at the particular file space. Furthermore, a couple of option will be floated for the users to grip to some extent of control over the used algorithm
Features of EncFS
- FUSE is used as to collaborate between encrypted directory and another specified directory.
- Loopback system is not being used like other competitive systems.
- Root privileges do not necessarily require to implement in this file encryption tool; thus; the users can use encrypted repository files.
- Without modification, it is capable of working on existing file systems; hence; users do not require generating any file or even file system within it.
Tomb is recognized as one of the best file encryption software for the Linux platform that is available in open sources and facilitates preserving the secret files. Having been written with code, it boons easy review and promotes links with commonly shared components. With its authentic system, encrypted storage files get generated that could be closed or opened by applying its associated essential files which are even protected with user’s chosen passwords.
Tomb is safe and secured file encryption software on Linux platform what could be protected and transported with a file system since keys can be kept in a discrete file, as an illustration; tomb files can store in the computer hard disc whereas keys would be preserved on a portable USB stick.
Features of TOMB
- Tomb file encryption tool is designed with a simple shell script that can be downloaded for FREE.
- It requires root access as to it works from the core terminal command line.
- It facilitates sound function, e.g., its software and key can be stored in physically distinct files.
- It is having been written with readable codes, its user-friendly and functions with the well-tested standard.
VeraCrypt is a free disk encryption tool that is effectively handy for the Linux platform. It is being branded the upgraded version of the TrueCrypt. The algorithms are used for the system is significantly protected because of its enhanced security integration. Moreover, its discrete encrypted wall impasses the barbarian invasion from the spies and hacker.
Its minor drawback is; it delays to open the encrypted partitions since it is developed with the integrated enhanced security program. Nevertheless, it is eventually boons the legitimate authority to access the computer, whereas it impedes the attacker effectively. It is an open source free disk encryption software for the Linux platform that could be downloaded very easily.
Features of VeraCrypt
- VeraCrypt facilitates the natural formation of a virtual disk that can allow encrypting the whole storage device.
- Real-time full encryption is supported automatically that implies; data would stay protected even without users command.
- VeraCrypt disk encryption tool boosts security for the computer to a greater extent.
- Having added downloadable installer, generic Linux platform users can install it again and again.
Besides, TruCrypt is; on the top of another free, open-source disk encryption software for the Linux platform that provides credible security for the users. Overwhelmingly, it works distinctly, i.e., it spawns in file encrypted disc that functions as a mounted disc. It encrypts all the files’ contents moreover; it integrates the directory’s name. Furthermore, having been encrypted, there is no scope to look into the files, HDD, and partitions.
This disk encryption tool can generate a specific size of individual files that can be used safely by the users. However, it is worth to mention here that TrueCrypt has been stopped producing a new version of the software; nevertheless; still, it can be downloaded from the open sources for free for Linux platform.
Features of TrueCrypt
- It generates a form of the virtual encrypted disk in a file that facilitates function as like a real disk.
- In a laptop its capable of encrypting whole storage and partition for instance; hard drive or USB flash drive.
- TrueCrypt disk encryption software is automatically and transparently can encrypt the entire drive and enables to function in on the fly.
- In an adverse circumstance, it promptly impasses the access by precipitating two layers barrier.
Cryptmount is higher end user-friendly file encryption tool for the Linux platform that enables the user to encrypt a specific filing system, and it does not require superuser privileges. Moreover, to a more significant extent, it allows the superuser to generate an entirely new encrypted file system. While the system administrator paves the way to configuring the initial filing system, a user needs to provide the decryption password for that filing system.
It clears the way for cryptmount to configure device mapper automatically. The devmapper mechanism has been used to develop this software that prompts frequent users to access the encrypted file filesystem when needed.
Features of Cryptmount
- It supplies a basic interactive setup script to encrypt the filesystem effectively.
- It can create required filesystem without the superuser or administrator privileges that enable the typical user to access the data.
- This file encryption software facilitates to generate more than one encrypted filesystem in a single disc partition that is supported and would be configured automatically in the system boot up.
- The encrypted filesystem is kept in an open format that is handled with the human hand regarding the configuration information.
It is an open source one of the best file encryption software for the Linux platform that can be used only for the file contents moreover; it has been designed for metadata, directory structure confidential and files sizes. It creates the same size contents file blocks and encrypts the whole block simultaneously and individually. The base directory is used to store all the encrypted files where random ID is applied as the file name.
The synchronized base directory is then set up to be connected with a cloud provider, for instance; Dropbox. In case of an attack, the base directory can be seen; however; metadata, file size, and directory structure of data will not be visible.
Feature of CryFS
- A configuration file is contained with the file directory along with the information CryFS requires to decrypt it.
- The encrypted files are protected with this configuration since users chosen passwords are applied furthermore; integrity checked gets done.
- The configuration files get encrypted twice, i.e., once by using aes-256-gcm and again with the surer chosen password.
- Additionally, CryFS file encryption tool prompts inner and outer keys that impasse attacker very effectively.
GnuPG could be elaborated GNU Privacy Guard that also known GPG. Like most of the other disk encryption tools, it is open source software that offers open GPG standard for the users. In the Linux platform, this tool is used to encrypt and decrypt files from the command line. On internet platform where data is most vulnerable, this disk encryption software lets the users encrypt the data in a bid to protect it and to ensure secure electronic communication.
GnuPG paves the way a chameleon key management system to access modules for different sorts of public key directories. However, it can be easily integrated with various other application of computer on Linux platform.
Features of GnuPG
- It is hybrid bets disk encryption software that is compiled with conventional symmetric key cryptography and public key cryptography.
- Asymmetric key pairs are used to generate individually to encrypt messages by the users.
- The GnuPG also supports symmetric encryptions algorithms to a greater extent on the Linux platform.
7-zip is a file encryption utility tool what is free and available in the open source can be used to insert a high number of files in a compressed mode what is called archive. Igor Pavlov developed this encryption tool, and it was first published in 1999. Besides, this file encryption tool uses its 7z archive nevertheless; it can read and write different other archive formats. A command line interface is used in this program as a command, and a graphical user interface characterizes the shell integration.
Apart from its format it also works with some others compressed or non-compressed formats such as ZIP, Gzip, bzip2, xz, tar and WIM. Additionally, this encryption tool is also used for unpacking NTFS, SquashFS, UDF, FAT, HFS, ISO, MBR, and VHD disk images, and so on.
Features of 7-zip
- By default, 7-zip file encryption software generates 7z archive format with a .7z file extension where archives are capable of containing the multiple directories and files.
- A Variety of algorithms are used for the core 7z compression where bzip2, PPMd, LZMA2 are most common.
- The original 7z file format is modular and open, and it is stored as Unicode.
Arguably, dm-crypt what is a transparent disk encryption tool subsystem for Linux kernel and in Dragonfly BSD. Being part of the device mapper infrastructure cryptographic routine is used from the kernels crypto API. Dm-crypt was programmed to underpin the advanced format of operation, for instance, XTS, LRW, and ESSIV to impasse the shadow attack. What is more, it addresses a few reliability issues of cryptoloop.
This dm-crypt device mapper target is stored in the in kernel space; additionally, it works for the encryption of the block device. However, it necessarily does not transform any data itself.
Features of dm-crypt
- This tool only works for the transparent encryption of virtual block devices that allows it’s a large amount of flexibility.
- It also could be configured to pave the way pre-boot authentication by an initrd to facilitate encrypting entire data on a computer.
- To some extent this disk encryption software also vulnerable to watermarking attacks while cipher block chaining is used with other disk encryption software.
eCryptfs is an all square free and open source disk encryption tool on the Linux platform that works from the POSIX filesystem-level encryption stage to expedite similar sort of function like as GnuPG from the core operating system layer. Moreover, it has been part of the Linux kernel since the updated version 2.6.19. It has been taken from the Erez Zadok’s cryptfs that prompts different function in open PGP file format to encrypt data.
Additionally, it smoothes the way for accessing random data from storing cryptographic; along with the distinct file. Moreover, files and directories names get encrypted, which are typically large.
Features of eCrypts
- This disk encryption software works at a Linux kernel runtime in an interactive way where an ecryptfs envisage to mounting encrypted directory towards another unencrypted mount point.
- With the tool; encrypted directory would be shared between the users; nevertheless; encryption will be linked with passphrase; thus; that would be shared too.
- Documentations are made by using a significant number of acronyms.
- The encrypted directory is defined as a lower and the unencrypted directory to as upper.
On the Linux platform, Cryptsetup file encryption software plays a vital role as a command tool to confederate with the dm-crypt for accessing, creating, and managing encrypted devices. At a later stage, it can be expanded to assist the various encryption types that are dependent on the cryptographic module and the Linux kernel device mapper.
It is worthwhile to mention here; Linux Unified Key Setup (LUKS) expansion where required setup information is stored on the disk itself. The purpose of this setup is to envisage to smooth seamless usage through virtual partitions and critical management. When devices are excessed through device mapper, then it is called the block devices.
Features of cryptsetup
- An encrypted block device is secured with a specific key, namely; passphrase key or a key file.
- When cryptsetup takes place in a new dm-crypt device with a LUKS encryption format is called LUKS Format.
- It is LUKS the default encryption format all that is required to form new LUKS device with a default parameter.
- This file encryption tool is essential to generate filesystem to encrypt data that would be accessible with the device mapper name.
Features of Node.js
- js offers to build in a library that is called crypto what can be used to work cryptographic operation on data.
- With this file encryption tool, the cryptographic operation can be done on buffer, strings, and stream
- The drawback is, if it is installed manually, then crypto library might not be shipped with it.
It is one of the best disk encryption tools on Linux platform that implies Linux Unified Key setup is developed by the by Clemens Fruhwirth in 2004 by focusing the core function of Linux. Unlike others, disc encryption software that executes various, irreconcilable and undocumented formats LUKS envisages independent platform standard on disc format for using different tools.
As a consequence, it works interactively with other programs, thus enables all execution password management to get secured and protected with documented manner. It effectively works on the Linux platform what is updated version of the cryptsetup; that uses dm-crypt to encrypt the dick at the backend.
Features of LUKS
- LUKS offers the standard on Linux platform in its hard disc encryption with a disc format.
- It simultaneously provides compatibility for the distributors and secures user password management.
- All necessary setup is stored in the header of the partition and prompts free information flow seamlessly.
- This disk encryption software offers the best safeguard on Linux platform against low entropy attack.
ChiperShed is believed another best free disk encryption software on the Linux platform that protects private data and information in a computer. It is the upgraded version of TrueCrypt that facilities immaculate service for the users. This utility is programmed what capable of creating encrypted files and even the entire drives, namely; flash drives and external HDD.
Users do not have to have complicated or sophisticated knowledge to operate it because step by step process needs to be followed to run it. Being an open source encryption tool, it is available for every user. It is believed that CipherShed is one of handy and user-friendly encryption after the trucrypt era.
Features of Ciphershed
- Having been encrypted file or disk drive, the encrypted data is mounted via CipherShed that will appear like a regular disc and envisages reading and writing to on-the-fly.
- This disk encryption software is transparent on the Linux platform and function effectively too.
- While encryption gets done, the file can be transported or stored elsewhere.
15. AES Crypt
The AES that implies Advanced Encryption software is also familiar with its originated name Rijndael. This utility is specified of electronic encryption data released by National Institute of Standard and technology in the U.S.A. This encryption software is available simultaneously on both sources and application form.
AES file encryption tool performs distinctly, for instance; encryption fie will be produced with the same name as the core file; however, with a .aes extension. When aes file gets generated, it does not delete the original file. It works as a stable career when users transport or stored data and information from one source to another.
Features of AES Crypt
- Substitution –permutation network design principle has been used for this encryption tool what useful for hardware and software.
- AES file encryption software is the extended version of Rijndael what got a specific block size 128 bits.
- In this software round keys have been taken from the cipher key by using Rijndael key schedule.
Cryptomator is a file encryption software that has been developed to protect the cloud file such as Dropbox, google drive, one drive, and for other cloud storage services. The local PC is encrypted with this utility, and then it is synchronized with the cloud.
The encryption makes the data readable to the authorized user only, and the attacker gets encountered with its encrypted program. The best feature of this utility is the virtual hard drive that contains all data in a specific folder of the cloud folder. Cryptomator facilitates a virtual hard drive that can be accessed just like the USB flash drive.
Features of Cryptomator
- A passphrase is used in this file encryption tool to secure data from the brute force attack.
- Cryptomator uses advanced encryption standard format to encrypt the data in the cloud.
- Data is protected with this file encryption software in a virtual drive that is called vaults what is encrypted and protected with a passphrase.
- When a folder is created, then a master key gets generated in the vault folder that secures the data.
Boxcryptor yields all square user-friendly protected extra layer in the cloud storage that works as a shield to secure data from the attacker. This file encryption tool encrypted files locally on the computer and unleashes protective measure to keep every record safe. Having been optimized for the cloud, all the data get protected and can be shared among the users.
Files are stored on the server and get synchronized with every connected device. It facilitates to get every file encrypted independently leaving behind others. Moreover, cloud storage typical features, for instance; selective sync and history are supported with the boxcrytor facility.
Features of Boxcryptor
- Users necessarily do not need to require the administrator right to use this utility.
- It does not require syncing the local file; thus; portable does not depend on the cloud provider sync.
- Portable boxcryptor is available for the Linux 64 bit.
- This file encryption software is the first end to end leading technology that secures all files with perfect collaboration.
18. Scramdisk4 Linux
Scramdisk 4 Linux what is programmed entirely by focusing on the Linux platform not necessary to mention how suitable it is to encrypt the file with this file encryption tool. It also offers extra features, namely; graphical user interface (GUI) that yields to generate and access to the scramdisck container files.
On the Linux platform, scramdisck encrypts partition on the storage media or hard disc for example; floppy disc or USB stick entirely as a device. This scramdisk for Linux is compiled with the kernel driver scramdisk, ko, the GUI scram disc along with the five others command line utilities.
Features of SD4L
- ScramDisck 4 Linux is a free file encryption tool from the different others subcategory.
- SD4L aims to protect driver on the Linux platform through encrypting the date from the brute-attacker.
- With this file encryption software, the passphrase could be changed by using the change button.
- It is an on-the-fly encryption format that secures an entire file system thoroughly within the regular encrypted file that is called container.
19. S.S.E. File Encryptor
This file encryption software yields you to secure confidential, private, and even the whole folder. Its encryption process is tremendously simple need to drag the chosen file in the application window. Files get encrypted with the robust encryption algorithm, i.e., AES. When the data is encrypted instantly, it generates another encrypted file just like the original one without deleting core one along with the .enc extension.
Features of S.S.E File Encryptor
- This file encryption tool offers the file and text encryption facility; thus, it is called the all in one encryption tool.
- A master password is generated within this system that let all other files and folders to be protected.
- All the private, confidential, and entire folders get encrypted with this software.
- This file encryption software yields to keep safe all the text, message, information, and documentation through this encryption system.
Gostcrypt is one of the best disk encryption software that is the latest addition which was launched at the end of 2013, and it is branded as a fork of the TrueCrypt project. This disk encryption tool envisages going further than ever before happened in this filed. When Snowden reveals millions of classified files from the USA, the world got shaken and since then tried to find out the best possible way to protects the data.
Gostcrypt is one of the products of that concerned. Gostcrypt uses 256-bit keys to encryption or decryption. Interestingly, these 256-bit keys internally divided into eight 32 bit subkeys. In this format, the GOST 28147-89 gets prepared to encrypt or decrypt data and information.
Features of Gostcrypt
- An asymmetric encryption algorithm is used to encrypt data in this disk encryption tool; hence; public and private keys get generated during the encryption.
- It also produces an extension with the encrypted file that makes files well protected.
- During the encryption, gostcrypt surfaces a text message that takes place on the desktop.
To encapsulate the whole article, it would be said that the encryption mentioned above tools are the best disk and file encryption software for the Linux platform. However, it is worth to mention here that TrueCrypt file encryption software has been stopped to publish the new version nevertheless; it is still worthwhile for using on the Linux platform.
Users are being requested to leave their comment regarding this article; additionally; if you find this article, information and links are useful; please do not forget to share it.