1. Visual Studio Code
- Embedded Git control allows for superior speed and convenience when maintaining the integrity of your workflow.
- The Integrated terminal lets you play with the system while keeping your focus ob the code at the same time.
- The built-in server is convenient when trying out snippets of your project.
- The built-in support for Karma test runner allows developers to leverage the Test Driven Development(TDD) paradigm.
3. Sublime Text
- Comes with built-in support for Vim.
- Beginner friendly and lightweight.
- Great community that wields out plug-ins for almost any task.
- Allows for far better integration with external tools than its competitors.
- The UI agnostic nature of the editor allows Neovim to be embedded into any GUI system.
- Highly modular and ready to use just out of the box.
- Fuzzy searching for available functions, settings, and snippets are available through a well-curated command palette.
- Built-in HiDPI support free from any scaling issues.
- Default instant pair programming support allows for a Test Driven Development(TDD) approach.
6. IntelliJ IDEA
- Robust support for version control systems such as git, svn, etc. makes sure keeping track of your codebases won’t feel a nightmare.
- The inline debugger is handy when hunting bugs across different modules of a project.
- Vim is extremely programmable, meaning you can customize and extend its functionalities any way you like.
- Provides direct support for SSH to gain access to remote systems.
- Vim comes with a huge list of readily available macros.
- From programming multimedia playback (EMMS) to typesetting and viewing images, Emacs is capable of doing things that go way beyond simple “text editing.”
- Emacs is known for its superior integration with tools like shells, emulators, version control, and navigation systems.
- Programmable to the core.
- The community is the largest among every Emacs starter-kit.
- Packages are crowd-configured and do not interfere with each other.
10. AWS Cloud 9
- The complete web-based nature of this editor makes it very suitable to collaborate on different projects.
- The real-time collaboration ability of the AWS Cloud 9 facilitates pair programming easily.
- You can run the software on personal hardware and hosting for better accessibility.
- Built-in web server and terminal aggregates productivity much faster.
- Comes with support for Grunt and lint/hint plugins.
- Seamless integration with modern revision control systems.
- Inline editor increases productivity while maintaining the workflow.
- Live preview feature lets you see what your code does in real-time.
- The instant search feature is extremely fast and efficient.
- Brackets comes with native support for TernJS.
- It can easily extract assets from PSD’s.
- Autocompletion of JS codes increases productivity significantly.
- Native support for Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Has mobile apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and Blackberry.
- Live autocompletion feature for JS provides accurate suggestions based on installed libraries.
- The fully customizable and real-time error reporting features helps to eliminate bugs instantly.
- The full-fledged Linux terminal allows you to access your system right from the browser.
- Browsersync feature allows viewing` any changes in your JS code without refreshing the browser.
15. Komodo IDE
- The built-in version control mechanism allows developers to maintain the workflows of larger projects easily.
- With the ActiveState feature, multiple developers can collaborate on a project in real-time.
- The underlying engine of Komodo IDE is capable of running regular expressions.
16. Light Table
- The inline evaluation feature allows you to see what each line of code does without interpreting the whole code.
- The watches feature allows you to run your code live in real-time while you’re writing it.
- Built-in plugin manager to help you manage third-party extensions efficiently.
- From graphs to games, you can embed anything directly.
- The “Factory” feature enables developers to create on-demand, real-time, and collaborative workspaces.
- You can SSH directly into running containers.
- The setup process is easy even for beginners and allows anonymous login.
- Comes with a very powerful and elegant search and replace functionality.
- Features auto-completion and auto-tag functionality.
- Advanced integration of external tools like lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, and make.
- Supports multi-threaded remote files handling over FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS.
- The platform is very fast and launches even faster.
- Very good for prototyping or wireframing your next web project.
- You can easily share your prototype or project to clients via a public URL.
- Can be used to create and publish a complete project to personal domains.
- The console can be even used to debug potential error in more extensive programs.
- Built-in plugin manager makes it easy to install and manage external modules.
- Has an intuitive menu that lets users set their preferences very easily.
- Auto-close tags for XML and HTML.