Music tag editor software implies a range of software that is used to edit metadata of multimedia files. Metadata stores all the information, for instance; artist, title, lyrics, conductor, album, length, track and embedded image in the audio file itself. There is numerous compatible best music tag editor software that is available on the Linux platform, among those some are open source and free thus; users can download and install them on their device.
ID3 is the most common type of audio tag, and there are two distinct types, namely; ID3v1 and ID3v2. Apart from that, there are many more audio tags such as FLAC, OGG, AIFF, Mp3, Mp4, MWA and WAV, and so on. The primary purpose of using the audio tag editor is to organize and correct the files to perform smoothly.
Best Music Tag Editor for Linux
This article has been written regarding the best music tag editor software that is available on the Linux platform. All the relevant information, properties, performance efficiency, and features have been depicted in this article in details. Moreover, a reader can download the auspicious software from this page; hence; download link has been given here too.
EasyTag music tag editor software is widely used on the Linux platform that can perform beyond the ID3 tags. This popular software supports various formats of files, for instance; MP2, Mp3, Mp4, AAC, FLAC, MusePack, WavPack, and Monkey’s Audio. This software is incredibly user-friendly, and functions are programmed in a distinct way what you have imagined.
EasyTag software is characteristically different, as an illustration; three vertical panes are used for the bulk application window, namely; file tree/list view, the tag editor and the files in the current directory. Additionally, there are a status bar and activity log under the three panes that have made the application much smoother and user-oriented.
Features of EasyTag
- There are some discrete features in this software such; playlist creation, bulk rename, directory rename, and directory restructure.
- The main toolbar is just underneath the menu bar that enables the critical functions for example; first, last, next/ preview, scan, and remove the tag, undo/redo, file tree/list view switcher, save, invert the selection, select all.
- Search, create a playlist, CDDB lookup, quit, and stop features are included in the toolbar along with the options as mentioned above.
- The parent directory is placed in the input box straight below the toolbar that lets selecting the function when required.
Kid3 is mainly used to editing music tag files for KDE 4.x. Far-ranges of flies are supported with this tool for instance; Mp2, Mp3, Mp4, WMA, FLAC, OGG, AAC, WAV, WavPack, Speex, AIFF, MPC, and True Audio. This music tag editor software can generate tag either automatically from the file names or another way around such as manually.
Twenty different combinations could be used in a bid to change the files’ names that imply for artist, title, track, album, year, and track number. Directory editing and playlist creation are included in this tool that could be done very quickly. This application is enriched with 60 different tag categories that can be soundly used to edit a specific file.
Features of Kid3
- Being a KDE 4.x application, its performance is outstanding moreover; configuration can be customized; thus; it is suitable for everyone.
- Unlike other application, this music tag editor software has placed all the vital elements in a logical order without hiding those inside the menu or in the cluttering UI.
- On the Linux platform, it works smoothly thus; it is assumed one of the best music tag editor software.
- Nevertheless, it is suggested that if CDDB lookup is included, it would be the best tagger by leaving behind others.
MusicBrainz-Picard is officially recognized as a tag application for the online-based community forum MusicBrainz database of metadata. Additionally, Picard has taken from the reputed captain of the USS Enterprise D and E. This music tag editor software supports most of the available music file format.
MusicBrainz is used in different purposes such as for album cover and CD and digital audio file tag lookup. What is more, file name could be used to get populated that information. Furthermore, files can be moved and rename in other directories to generate a new folder by using Picard.
Features of MusicBrainz-Picard
- This music tag editor software has got a stunning design with a clean interface and well-placed elements.
- The toolbar is placed right under the menu bar that harbors very vital functions of the menu bar to operate the application smoothly.
- Two panes contain the bulk of the window where left pane holds current tag information files that are integrated with the Picard, on the other hand; tag data and records names are kept in the right pane.
- Additionally, View menu can generate optional file tree browser in this tag editor application.
Entagged is believed to some extent, a little distinct because of being a Java-based program that can be used to tag Mp3, OGG, and WMA files. It is also can be used for the directory editing, renaming, playlist creation, and lookup via freedb. This music tag editing software can rename the file by using the tag information or another way around.
The UI is designed with various shades of yellow, whereas each on-screen option is made of blocks. There is believed a form drawback since no rounded corners are found in this application.
Features of Entagged
- There are handy and user-friendly sorting options in this music tag editor software.
- Current directories for instance; track number, title, artist, album, length, and genre can be sorted out by the file name.
- What is more, WMA files are supported by the Entagged to a significant extent.
5. Ex Falso/QuodLibet
Ex Falso is audio tag editor software on the Linux platform that is included Quod Libet player tool which could be retrieved from the Linux platform independently. Being involved with the Quod Libet player, it can support a number of the players namely; Mp3, OGG, MusePack, FLAC and MOD. This application can tag individual song manually, or a template can be used to tag a bulk of the music.
Features of Ex Falso
- This audio tag editor software is capable of bulk rename, and it can manage album based track numbering.
- There is a stunning and straightforward interface without any menu bar and toolbars; thus; it is catchy and appealing to the user.
- A file tree is contained on the left-hand pane for the file selection on the top of the list files that are in the currently selected directory.
- The right-hand pane is responsible for all the essential functions that enable manual tag edit, rename, tag from the file name and tag number editors as well.
K-Yamo elaboration is KDE-yet, another music organizer what is very notable for the Linux platform. This music tag editor software edit tags efficiently for the mp3, OGG file nevertheless; it includes a CD ripper. Essential component freedb is utilized with the CD Ripper to auto-generate tags and file name because of ripped tags. Besides, MusicBrainz, to some extent, can derive tags for files that are not ripped by K-Yamo.
Features of K-Yamo
- Having the KDE .x style, UI performs exceptionally smoothly and efficiently in this music tag editor software.
- Since there is no menu bar or toolbar; thus; K-Yamo facilitates of using the tabs to switch into the main window that is between the ripper, tagger, and setting.
- Because of being the essential tool of tagging music files, there is no directory for the creation or renaming moreover; sparse file type support is nonexistent, merely primary tag is available in it.
- Having been included the CD ripper, this application is user-friendly, and this is the strength of it.
7. Audio Tag Tool
Audio Tag Tool that is available on the Linux platform can edit ID3 tag information of Mp3 and OGG files. This application can edit the tag either individually or bulk moreover; this tag edition can be done manually or by using the existing file name. Additionally, it facilitates the user to switch into an advanced view option that expedites to include contact, data, copyright, and information.
What is more, this advanced view option let the user get engaged to customize isrc, license, organization, location, performance, and version. Audio Tag Tool capabilities are rounded out by the playlist creator and the bulk.
Features of Audio Tag Tool
- Having more accessible and user-friendly interface, this music tag editor software is simple to operate; any user can choose it and use it.
- The left pane, which is split to half vertically; hold the current directory that is used as a home of the file list.
- The right pane is programmed in a particular way as it can be tabbed to switch between the single tag edit, multiple tag edit, bulk rename, tag clear and playlist creation functions.
- It is believed one of the most futuristic music tag editor applications because of having a .deb for ARM availability in it.
Puddletag is music tag editor software what solely created for the Linux platform. This software is distinct because of its spreadsheet-like layout so that all the manual tag can be visible and editable. This tag editor application is suitable to extract information from the file names and what is more; it can be used to renaming files based on their tags.
Moreover, some functions allow replacing trim, text, and replace the case of tags. Because of its dynamic option, repetitive tasks can be automated. What is else, lookup tags and QuodLibet library can be imported by using the MusicBrainz.
Features of Puddletag
- This audio tag editor software supports a couple of formats namely; ID3v1, ID3v2 (mp3), MP4, OGG, FLAC, Musepack, Monkey’s Audio, and WavPack.
- Multiple albums can be tagged automatically, including the capability of enriching metadata, moreover; it smoothes the way of using one or more metadata source in a single operation.
- Its functions enable us to have a quick search and paves the way of replacing text from a specific area or field without having to resort action.
Pinky tagger is used as a mass tagger on the Linux platform, supports the MusicBrainz service that paves the way of finding the correct information from the files automatically. This audio tag editor software facilitates managing files, downloading cover to a significant extent. Additionally, this software is used to tag with an integrated expression scanner and MusicBrainz.
Entire albums can be tagged with this application even though fingerprints are not familiar with the MusicBrainz server. To this end, different algorithms are used in the Pinky-tagger such as fault tolerant string comparison and length comparison and so on.
Features of Pinky-Tagger
- This tag editor application can view, edit, and write tags for Mp3, OGG, FLAC and Monkey’s audio files.
- Its functions pave the way of downloading information on whether automatic pre-selection is commanded or not.
- This application is used to tag complete album; furthermore, it lets browse different internal files and directory browser too.
Despite having limited editing features, Cowbell tag editor software offers a promise. It is programmed to edit a single track and single album at a time with the best possible manner. Multiple records for an only artist at a time are not supported. This audio tag editor facilitates user to select a particular file with the built-in directory tree browser; nevertheless; the file can be dragged from the desktop file manager into the main window.
Though plugins are not well supported with the Cowell, it utilizes Amazon’s web service API for built-in searches such as album and track searches, in fact; there is no way of configuring the UI, and interestingly, there is no indication of using the Amazon’s help.
Features of Cowbell
- This audio tag editor software supports Mp3, OGG, FLAC and APE format on the Linux platform.
- This application lets the user modify multiple tracks at one point by using a command line-batch mode; however, it does not allow it to happen directly from the UI.
- It is believed, simplicity is the best feature of the Cowbell and being user-friendly it is easy to use; nonetheless; it is missing many advanced features; thus; it allows doing the basic tagging.
- File renaming can be done limitedly with the Cowbell, a specific tag cannot be focused on this application, and it is another limitation of it.
Finetune is an automatic tag editing application that is available for commercial use on the Linux platform. Its interface is stunning and very simple to use moreover; it has been designed to leave behind the tediousness by adding information to the music file. Though it is not the only application of this kind; nevertheless, it offers some discrete features for the user.
Features of the Finetune
- This music tag editor software is entirely automatic; thus; user interaction is little requiring functionalizing this application.
- Along with the Mp3, Mp4, OGG, FLAC; Finetune can read and write most of the accessible format on the Linux platform.
- Users fingerprint is required to determine the music and identify the correct information that implies; it does not depend on the best guess.
- Apart from the appropriate artist tag, it also can produce the composer and performers tag too; hence; the program gets better for scanning classical music.
Demlo is an audio tag editor application that also can perform organizing the library, and the Lua and FFmpeg develop it. It works for various features, for instance; cue sheets, case checking, transcoding and online tagging with MusicBrainz. Additionally, it offers manual tag editing, processing, covers downloading, and many more.
This music tag editor software operates with the Lua scripts of the files that passed as arguments. Each script allows accessing an input table which would modify an output table along with necessary information such as; covers, tags, path and encoding processing properties too.
Features of Demlo
- Demlo always comes with its official script; nevertheless; the user can generate a temporary script in the folder calls it from the command line; then needs to be removed.
- Internet tagging can be done by using this audio tag editor software; to this end, MusicBrainz is required to perform this function.
- Files renaming is also possible with this application moreover; libraries can be managed along with the batch process for an entire library.
In many cases, metadata get lost that was stored in the tag. Jaikoz tag editor tool is powerful enough to retrieve that information and allow users to correct, edit, and organize of these tags easily. Jaikoz uses two biggest online databases, namely; MusicBrainz and Discog, which altogether have 15 million songs. There is acoustic Id that is provided by the Acoustid which paves the way of identifying with actual music; thus; this music tag edit software matches it even if there is no metadata.
Features of Jaikoz
- Most of the popular media player formats for instance; Mp3, Mp4, M4a, M4p, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, Wav, DSF, and OGG files are supported with this music tag editor software.
- Jaikoz offers a range of opportunity for the user, as an illustration; the user can look up songs either using the Acousid or metadata simultaneously.
- Data could be edited manually and even using a convenient spreadsheet view where many autoformatting features are available.
Bliss tag editor application is distinct with its features in the setting menu that facilitates to automate the processing and organizing the album art. Having been downloaded the software, it requires indicating music library. This music tag editor software works very directly and efficiently with inexpensive way and organizes music collection’s album art at lightning speed.
Bliss can work in different aspects in different ways; for instance; it might be used in the smallest library; however, when it is assigned for the giant library, still it can perform very quickly and speedily. The most appealing issue regarding the bliss is the way it runs the background of the files. It ensures all the smoothness and faultless performance for the device.
Features of Bliss
- This music tag editor software is compatible with far-ranges of music file formats while organizing the album art for instance; Mp3, Mp4, OGG, FLAC, WMA, M4A, and M4B formats.
- This application uses the default interface to display its information and having user-friendly features it easy to navigate.
- An alphanumerical filter is placed on the bar of the top of the screen that paves the way of using the particular, letter, number, and symbol of a song.
- Different online databases are used in this application; namely, MusicBrainz, Amazon, Discogs, and Google to source the album art.
SongKong is believed one of the most efficient and stunning tag editor applications that can organize, manage, and clean up the digital music collection easily and quickly. It offers neat features for the users as an illustration; the user would get flexible and painless service from this tag editor software, and it is possible to maintain all the music files by using a little amount of time. Like other quality tag editor software, it supports most formats such as MP3, MP4, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, OGG, and WMA.
Features of SongKong
- This music tag editor software is dexterous of multitasking such as; fixing misspelling, adding metadata, and renaming music by using the provided new metadata.
- What is more, this application can add the artist name, album, and album art by using the given metadata.
- Acoustid is used for acoustic–matching thus; if even metadata is not given, it still can match the album art based on the music track.
- It is capable of working with the large music files as well as with the small data.
At large, to encapsulate the whole things it would be worth to mention here that Kid3, Picard and EasyTag and Puddletag are the most popular and compatible audio tag editor software on the Linux platform. You would get the real value of money even if you buy that software nevertheless; expect a few differences all the software have almost the same form of features and properties.
Readers are being requested to leave their comment regarding this article, and if you find all the given information, data and links are useful; please do not forget to like and share it.